65 Valiant fender tag question about radio options?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
So my fender tag on my 65 Valiant is pretty simple. I didn't find a broadcast sheet in the back seat or under the dash, not even any pieces of it. I still have to remove the front seat to get the carpet, but doubting it's under there either. So all I have is the fender tag to go by to put this car back close to the way it was new. I know I can get the build record from Chrysler but they said I have to have the car registered first. My tag only has options under these:

3 = 9 Variable wipers, which the original is still installed
AB = 20 225 Slant Six, someone actually swapped out the motor for a 170
D = 5 Automatic
E = 5 Heater with defroster which the original is still installed
V = 3 Back Up Lights, I had to hunt the harnesses down and the switch

My question is if there isn't anything under Q which is for the radio would it have been a radio delete car and have the delete plate there? I have two working AM radios but I kinda like the simplicity of this Valiant and if it shouldn't be there I don't want to add it. However, I know some of the things that are options on the car sometimes don't make it to the fender tag. But I figured a radio would show up on the fender tag. Is that correct? Just hope I can find a delete plate to mount there because I don't have it.

My experience has shown if there is no "1" under the "Q" then the car was ordered without a radio. Your car may have had a dealer installed radio or perhaps the owner added an aftermarket radio.
But....the absence of the "1", in rare cases, could have been a accidental failure of the factory to stamp the code on the fender tag. The fender tag was not the build record/sheet for the car...it was the other way around.
The IBM build card or build sheet is the only to know for sure.
FYI...I had a 67 Charger without a radio code on the fender tag and sure enough a later owner had added an aftermarket radio.

Yeah that was the website I used to decode my fender tag. I didn't think my Valiant originally had a radio in it because I didn't see it on the fender tag. When I got the car of course someone hacked the radio hole for an aftermarket radio and installed some speakers in the back and it had some older cheap speaker in the front. Plus the wire hook on the fuse box wasn't hooked up the way the factory specifies too. I was wondering if it didn't originally have a radio would there still be a hole in the passenger side fender or would there be some kind of plug in it? Everything in the car seemed to be still original when I got it, besides the engine which I haven't understood why someone downgraded to a 170 from a 225. The carpet is even still original, the headliner is about the only original interior piece that's still useable. It's pretty much perfect. I bought a new speaker because I decided to install one of the correct Valiant lettered 65 AM radios I have but maybe I'll just put a delete plate in there. Amazing there's so little to go wrong compared to a modern car yet I haven't figured out why I can't start it using the key. But when I get it back on it's feet I believe it could still be a decent car to use for travel. No power steering, no power brakes, no a/c, no radio, and not many things on the dash to go wrong.

I have found the build sheet for 2 of my 65`s on the right front side under the carpet just below the heater box.

Oh well maybe that's why I haven't found mine. That's the only place the carpet has been disturbed. Instead of fixing it I guess they just let the heater core leak all over the carpet, Wonder why when you see how easy it is to remove. Only chance I have is the build card, which Chrysler has told me they still have on file. But I'm definitely not going to register this thing until I have it in driveable condition. That means pretty much a full interior resto. Unless for some reason it's under the carpet under the seat the build sheet is gone for good. Sucks too, because out of the two Mopars I've got I don't have any documentation on either. My 73 Charger I found remnants of the broadcast sheet but it was long gone.

-
Back