65 Valiant power steering pump

-
Needs to be a TRW pump. If you have the original, you can rebuild it yourself, as I did. It was an Edelbrock kit, but I don't have the PN at hand. A common problem is just that the reservoir is leaking, which is sealed with a long thin circumferential O-ring. Auto parts used to carry just that part, with the gasket seal for the bolt holes. That is a place where a "make yourself" O-ring might work if you put the glued joint at the top where it will sit above the fluid level.

I just checked rockauto. They show several kit choices for your car from $7 to $26, but many talk about the Saginaw pump which I think began on ~1974, so verify the application. You might be able to switch to the Saginaw pump, which is better, but need to get the brackets, verify it clears the motor mounts and K-frame, and the hoses change, plus probably a different size V-belt. Not trivial.

I went further for you (and me) and googled the Edelmann 7899 PN. This Amazon seller answers:
"Yes, this kit is used for the TRW Style Pump if the shaft has a solid end. Provided your pump has a slotted end you will require part number 7900."

Another thing to be aware is that the similar TRW pump on my 1965 Newport has a larger diameter shaft than on my 1965 Dart. Both have a smooth solid-end shaft (no Woodruff key and no tapped hole to pull on the pulley). So different rebuild kits. When you press on the pulley, have the reservoir off and support the far end of the shaft on a properly-sized socket so that you push only on the shaft. If you apply force to the pump body, you will likely ruin it.

Last edited:
-
Back