65 valiant signet 4 speed

-

m38jeepman

Reaction score
I found a 65 4 speed hardtop today. The little car has been sittting for a long time, but I like 4 speed cars. This car also has factory air. It is a slant six also.

How common was the 4 speed transmissions in the signet hardtops? I havent seen any before.

Thanks for the quick replies. I thought they were uncommon. In 64 there were 37796 valiant hartops made, in 65 only 10999 hartops. I guess the barracuda stole the show from the signet hartop in 65. That means that a 65 4 speed with factory air, no dealer add on, is an unusual find. I just wish it was a 273 4 bbl!!!

Enjoy! I bet you can find a lot of parts here! Let us know what you need, I may have some stuff!

Thanks for the quick replies. I thought they were uncommon. In 64 there were 37796 valiant hartops made, in 65 only 10999 hartops. I guess the barracuda stole the show from the signet hartop in 65. That means that a 65 4 speed with factory air, no dealer add on, is an unusual find. I just wish it was a 273 4 bbl!!!
Oh no, wish not: you scored. How many /6s and 4 speeds do you think were made within that production break down ? Probably far fewer than V8-4 speed. What a great combination. I am in awe and envy.

I have a 63 Signet with 3 speed on the column and it definitely always seems to need that 4th gear. I wish it had the 4 speed..... [even though column shift is sooo 30's...]

And it's spooky: Everyone always expects the push button auto. The shows always have early As [not many 63s] and usually always with the automatic. You have a unique, rare rare rare car. Enjoy it.

For me: these sorts of combinations are far more interesting. Everything is V8 and 4 speed and I know, the most desirable to the greatest # of people. But your car will stop people in their tracks. How many people do you think even knew that an early A /6 was available with a 4 speed ? Ever? Get used to hearing: "Pretty neat conversion.... looks factory..."

Congratulations. And don't waste another second wishing it was something else !!!
Best,
Dave

I've seen a number of early A slant 4-speeds including a black on black 65 Dart GT rag many years ago. Definitely rare though. Would make a great driver with the MPG factor. I have a 65 Signet 4-speed but it's a 273-2V with few options.

You're right on that one Don. That combo must be one out of very very few. Congrats and good luck with the car.

Quite possibly even more rare than the 273 4 speed with AC. I parted out a late build (7/23/65) 65 GT hardtop that was a 273/235 4 speed 8.75 factory AC car with no other options. Motor was gone but saved everything else. I'm sure that was a pretty rare one too!

Quite possibly even more rare than the 273 4 speed with AC. I parted out a late build (7/23/65) 65 GT hardtop that was a 273/235 4 speed 8.75 factory AC car with no other options. Motor was gone but saved everything else. I'm sure that was a pretty rare one too!

That must have been a ëxtremly rare one. Are you doing any progress on your projects?

Here is a pic of the fender tag and decode: 1=1 manual mirror, 3=9 variable speed wiper with wash
a=2 b=0 225 slant six, d=3 4 speed trans, e=1 A/C with heat, q=1 AM radio, Z=2 front buckets with console.
2011-02-12112142.jpg

The car has been sitting for a long time, but I will put it in my shop for a future project.
2011-02-12112106.jpg

I may get it running and just leave it original looking. It has a good weathered look. lol

-
Back