65 Valiant V8 swap

-

Weepco

Reaction score
Hi guys - brand new here. Any opinions on which V8 would be best to swap into a 65 Valiant? And any tips on any great mechanics in L.A. for these cars? Thanks!

Any small block is easiest, since the factory installed them in some cars.....big blocks are more trouble.

383 is very doable too. Distributor right in the front where you can get to it. The stock HP manifolds will even work with very little mods.

383 is very doable too. Distributor right in the front where you can get to it. The stock HP manifolds will even work with very little mods.
Thanks Rusty - I'll check that out too. Was just looking at some 340/360 crate engines - pretty good hp for the price. I've got lots of homework to do...

Actually, I think it stands for late A, as in later, after the "A" polyshere engine.

from the allpar website:
The A engine was produced from 1955 through 1966 or 1967. The LA, introduced in 1964, had the same basic design but was very heavily modified. The lightweight (LA) version, using thin-wall casting, saved around 50 pounds; the wedge-shaped combustion chamber was much smaller than the A engines’ polyspherical heads, greatly reducing the size and allowing the first LA engine (273 V8) to fit into the small Valiant. The LA's valves were simpler too, saving money and size. The 273 ended up being only fifty pounds heavier than the 225-cid slant six.

i say, first determine what you want to do with it, really. do you need ?? a high HP small block, a new crate engine, a decent running used one? week end warrior crusing city or highway? how many $$ do you want to invest in it?
tons of good read on here. surprised the magnum lovers havn't found this thread yet!? Ha

-
Back