650 or 750 Edelbrock on 340

-
A-body guy.
Post #24.
With the 625 AVS, the 340s were factory rated at 275 hp.
With the 800 cfm TQ, they were 305 hp??? Must have missed it. Where was this stated by the factory?

Both the 340 & 440 engines with the 6-pack set up make 15 hp more than the 4bbl. One has a 625 cfm 4 bbl, other has a 750 4bbl....but still 15 hp difference for each.
The 6-pack intakes are true high rise intakes [ compared to the 4 bbl ]. Smoother bends, less restriction. So how much of the 15 hp increase is due to this?

A-body guy.
Post #24.
With the 625 AVS, the 340s were factory rated at 275 hp.
With the 800 cfm TQ, they were 305 hp??? Must have missed it. Where was this stated by the factory?
Factory underrated all 340’s at 275hp the 4 speed cam, the t-quad with the better intake in 71, AVS 340’s around 300hp, 71 340’s closer to 315 and 6 pack a little more. NHRA pegged the actual HP back in the day. 340’s and Hemis were underrated, 383, 440, and 440 + 6 were a lot closer.

Both the 340 & 440 engines with the 6-pack set up make 15 hp more than the 4bbl. One has a 625 cfm 4 bbl, other has a 750 4bbl....but still 15 hp difference for each.
The 6-pack intakes are true high rise intakes [ compared to the 4 bbl ]. Smoother bends, less restriction. So how much of the 15 hp increase is due to this?
I guess you did
69 340 nhra hp factor 295 hp based on trap mph turned
71 340 nhra hp factor 325 hp fastest stock 340 based on trap mph turned
70 340 six pack hp factor 315 hp nhra
That is how nhra factors hp for class ratings
pretty simple

See johnnydarts experience with the 750, Hysteric's photo that I post and Tuner's observation that I quote.

and even though this thread gets off track at the end, read what Hysteric Rumble and Bewy discuss about the 750 as made by Edelbrock.

No street demon love? :( (i know how this will go) :) with how much guys love thermoquads i figure they would be all over them
1709394838136.png

Are you saying they measure the 2V carbs at 3 inches and convert it down? If that's true what I was told decades ago is wrong. And it may be. Now I have to go look up the venturi and butterfly sizing.
One of the early lies I read in multiple rags, was that the 440 6bbls were 1350cfm, & the 340 6bbls were 1050. Once I actually had the Holley books & real 340 carbs in My hand, it was BS, but they are different in jetting/bleeds, etc. The other difference is the PVCR's in the center carb are staggered for upper/lower plane, & the SB & RB(at least the iron ones) have the planes reversed.
The outboards are 500cfm@3"Hg, & the center is 350cfm@3"Hg, as You stated tho'...converted to 1.5" it is lower...but it is a-plenty for a 340..

Factory underrated all 340’s at 275hp the 4 speed cam, the t-quad with the better intake in 71, AVS 340’s around 300hp, 71 340’s closer to 315 and 6 pack a little more. NHRA pegged the actual HP back in the day. 340’s and Hemis were underrated, 383, 440, and 440 + 6 were a lot closer.
My dream engine has always been to build a blueprinted 71 340 using the 68 4 speed camshaft. Stock cast iron intake, Thermoquad and all. Maybe hang a set of good headers off it. A body, 4 speed with 3.91s.

What was the difference between the auto & 4 speed cam?

My dream engine has always been to build a blueprinted 71 340 using the 68 4 speed camshaft. Stock cast iron intake, Thermoquad and all. Maybe hang a set of good headers off it. A body, 4 speed with 3.91s.
You need to elevate your engine dreams. lol ode to mighty 340 :poke:

What was the difference between the auto & 4 speed cam?
276,284 .444, .453. 4spd (1968)
268,276 .429, .444 AT (all other 340)

there is some literature showing slight deviations such as 445/455 and 430/445 but those are the generally accepted numbers. i *believe* they were all ground on a 114*. that was advertised duration and it's acknowledged that they have pretty healthy @ 50 numbers.

You would think the 4 speed cammed 340 would of dyno'd more.

Last edited:
I have the 68' 4-speed cam in my 69' 4-speed Dart. It runs well, with a nice thump. Don't forget the Thermoquad carb needs the later intake, as a 71'. I had the 3.91 and sold it but went back to the 3.23 as a street driver. It all depends on what you are looking for in a application. No maybe on the headers, do it. It's all in the package.

Late to this party... responses all seem to be based on max HP. For 1/4 mile the big carb
but for a strictly street driven car, the 650 could be the ticket.

Absolutely it would have. Also, IMO, it was a better match for the 71 engine with the Thermoquad.

My point was the Edelbrock 1407 as manufactured is flawed. Its not fair to draw any conclusion about the design or whether the extra cfm/lower restriction is a demonstrateable advantage or disadvantage.

If @Divenut wants to use the 750, then fix the flaws an it should be OK. Just looking at the build in the first post I'd say do a new baseline with the 650. Get the best mph and ET you can tune it to. Then go try something else. Less restriction should pick up some power - depending on fuel distribution etc. Tires weren't stated but I assume its close to peak power rpm at the finish. If after tuning for best et and mph their not both better than with the Carter 650, its time to figure out why. Maybe that engine doesn't have great fuel distribution. Maybe the intake velocity slows down too much. Anyway thats for later only if it doesn't work out.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'll definitely try a couple different carbs to see what it likes. Ultimately the car will be enjoyed on strip/street rips and leisurely backroad cruises.

Not many made. Even the Hot Rod magazine tests in '68-'69 were with the automatic cam that became the only cam.
Why did they drop it? I have no idea. Cost vs. sales? Emissions? Technical Issues? My guess it was production and accounting reasons.

No true replicas either.
Ken at Oregon Cams has a copy that is pretty close but he's said himself its not quite the same.
Cam craft might have had the scoop.
We would need to put a real one on a cam doctor or very carefully degree one to really understand its ramps and valve openings and closings.
The factory shop manual specs are not .004/.006 as previously discussed.
The one guy that has the dope and is or was willing to repop was given a hard time here, which seems to have discouraged him from making a run.

Late to this party... responses all seem to be based on max HP. For 1/4 mile the big carb
but for a strictly street driven car, the 650 could be the ticket.
The ticket is a 71 intake 800 cfm t/quad its not close
smaller primaries so it has better part throttle response then 625 650 plus better mpg plus the most torque and hp

I'll admit I have very little experience with carburetors, but I do remember years ago that a guy who raced at MAR, had a '68 roadrunner with a warmed up 383, he had a Holley 1050 dominator on it and it was pretty much a dog off the line. I heard him complaining about how poorly his car was running and I said get rid of that wash tub carburetor and single plane intake, and use anthing other than those champion plugs and go with a 750 dp and a good dual plane intake manifold. He did just that and his cars performance greatly improved.

-
Back