66 and 65 Valiant fenders, will the interchange?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
Can a 66 Valiant front fender interchange on my 65 Valiant? I looked at them. They look the same but I wasn't sure about around the headlights because the grille was different on the 66. Will I be able to bolt up a 66 Valiant fender on my 65 without any modifications?

I do believe they are way diffrent,64 are diffrent also,first pic is 65 valiant.second pic is 66 valiant 3rd pic is 63 valiant and last pic is 64 valiant,on the 64 and 65 look at the body line that looks like a sphere on the 65's where on the 64 it is wider at the rear of the fender,on the 63's they look the same from the side but around the front where the grille bolts up the cup that holds the head light has changed to flat so the grille from a 64 or 65 will not work,then on my 66 valiant there is no sphere on the sides at all and back to a flat style grille.so the answer is that you need the right year fender for your car,although the 64 fender will bolt up and everything will fit the actual body line will be wrong but if you changed both fenders few people would be able to tell but the 66 fender will not work.hope this is helpful,last pic is my 65 "waggin" but the spear on the fender is more visible and It has the 64 valiant grille where in the first pic it has the 65 barracuda grille,I never did find a decent 65 valiant grille to use so it was a toss up between the barracuda or the 64 valiant grille the cuda grille is heavy so I saved the 64 valiant grille for waggin II pro street project

wagginatshow.JPG

63 valiant.JPG

64wagon.JPG

66valiantsmall.JPG

waggin64grille.JPG

I pretty much agree with what waggin has said. I think you could probably bolt a complete 66 front end onto the car, but that means everything from the front of the doors forward. To make everything fit you'd need the grille, hood, bumper, both fenders, front valence, etc. The fenders will line up with the body lines on the doors but from there on up everything is different. The underlying structure of the unibody is basically the same as 64-65 models..

yep,what he said!! you can put any front clip in its entirety fron 63 to 66 from darts cudas or valiants but must be done using all of the parts

I have at least 12 a bodies in variouse stages and several that are parts cars,the silver wagon is not mine but it was the best pic I had handy to show the front fender body line,I don't have any pic's of my 64 convertable because it's a parts car as it has way too much rust ,love your door panels you made!!! where did you buy the material for them and what is it called?roll and pleat or something? I'd like to use that for the panels for my waggin when I get the power window wiring completed
hey Curtis, How many cars do you have???? Are all of those yours???

What about the lower front fender patch panels? Do those look good welded in? I guess that's my only option if I want to keep it all 65. I'm only going for a driver quality paint job not one you're afraid to drive with. That's the only bad spot on the car that needs to be cut out. The trunk and floors are absolutely solid and all around the windshield seal too. I know I began to take it off and then stopped since the windshield was already cracked.

1964 and 1965 fenders interchange. Here are locations in USA that show to have left fenders in stock. I can get the list for the right if you need it.

1964 Fender Plymouth Barracuda 2X5 LOW RUST 030206
Call Bud's Salvage USA-OK(Aline) E-mail 1-800-375-2837 1-580-463-2424

1965 Fender Plymouth Valiant 189,65,1BBL 706092
109 U-Pull-It USA-NC(Winston-Salem) 1-336-788-9122 / 1-888-428-2405

1965 Fender Plymouth Valiant 2DR SDN CREAM, 311005
Classic Heaven Used Auto & Parts USA-MA(Brimfield) E-mail 1-888-549-1786

1964 Fender Plymouth Barracuda MAROON,VERY MINOR RUST,C-NOTE P05252
Call All American Classics USA-WA(Vancouver) 1-800-955-4999

1965 Fender Plymouth Barracuda BLUE,ROUGH,WALKUP Q05464
All American Classics USA-WA(Vancouver) 1-800-955-4999

the fenders do interchange for 1964 and 1965 on the valiants but as the pic's show they are visibly diffrent,notice the body line that starts at the front of the fender on the 65's it is narrower and goes straight back where on the 64's it is more of a vee.the lower rear patch panels will all be the same and lower fronts from a 64 should be the same but the 66's will be diffrent

fender.JPG

I am going to sell my home and move next door to waggin :cheers:
I will have to dig up my tree first :-D

CARSHOW 076.jpg

I just posted what Hollander Interchange on the web has listed for information. I am no expert on these cars. I have to agree that the body lines are different.

I know better than to pull information off the web instead of getting out my REAL HOLLANDER INTERCHANGE MANUAL off the shelf.

Oh wasn't trying to put anyone down and your posting is appreciated by all!! was just trying to make sure he was clear on what will and what wont work,did not mean to offend,just trying to share the knowledge,It's all good!!!

I'm going to give the patch panel a try. I've got a buddy who knows how to weld on patch panels pretty good. And it looks like a perfect candidate for it as there isn't any damage behind that part of the fender. This car is going to be hard to paint anyway. The previous owner brushed on some kind of cheap but thick house gray primer. And he put it everywhere. Under the hood and in the door jambs and trunk. It looks like he went to more trouble to do that than to just get it repainted. The only good thing is that it worked. That fender is the only bad rust spot I see. The floor pans and trunk is perfect. Around the windows is perfect and the chassis is amazingly rust free. The car just doesn't look too pretty. I hope that I will actually be able to find a paint shop that will be able to paint the jambs without me having to take off the doors and getting them blasted. I regret doing that one my Charger because I still haven't got them perfectly aligned.

-
Back