66 Barracuda owners-exhaust question

-

Denvermike

Reaction score
I have a 360 for my 66 Barracuda. It will have an auto trans and manual steering and brakes. The more I read, the less I think I know. Headers are not in the budget so iron manifolds it must be. I read one place this works, another it doesn't. Some say use this year, others say it wont work.

So the big question is what have you folks put on your 66's and any tips etc.
Facts would be a big help.
Thanks,
Mike

I have a 69 318 manifold on the driver's side, ported to match a a 340 exhaust port. On the pass side, I have a 72 340 manifold. They both go into 2 inch headpipes for a couple of feet, then into 2 1/4" to a pair of Flowmasters, then out to tailpipes dumping straight out the back with chrome square tips.

It sounds good at idle and WOT, but absolutely sucks to drive around due to massive drone. I've grown too old for the Flowmasters. Time for something quieter.

Eventually, I will put my Spitfire headers on and connect them up to a TTI 2 1/2" system.

I have manual steering and brakes.

You can run early 340 manifolds if you can find them and afford them. You need to remove the stock steering coupler and put a Flaming River steering coupler on and use Schumacher Mounts. Many people will tell you that won't work, but my friend has this setup on his 64 Barracuda.

Hope this helps.

I have a 65 barracuda with a 360. As of right now, I took the original 273 exhaust manifolds and ported them to the 360 exhaust ports. They flow alright, but you can definitely tell that my camshaft is slightly capped in power. Headers really are the way to go, especially if you have any upgraded stuff in your car ie, intake, carb, ignition, cam etc. Routing the exhaust is also going to be a lot of fun. Make sure you don't get in the way of the pitman arm or any of your steering components down there.

-
Back