66 Barracuda pilot bushing question

-

barelycuda

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a 66 Barracuda with the original 273 V-8 & 904 automatic transmission that is being converted to the A-833 4 speed. I have all the needed components (so I thought) from a previously owned 66 with a 4 speed. I have already swapped the pedals out today. I have the bell housing, flywheel, new clutch assembly and all the linkage and hardware from the other car. This is where I am stumped at right now. When we pulled the automatic out today everything looked fine. The crank appears to be drilled to accept the manual but the pilot bushing does not fit in the crankshaft. The bushing that came with the kit has the .941" OD. The crankshaft is only .900" I know that there should be a little bit of press fit but the bushing will not go in with a .041 interference.

That leads me to part 2. I have been reading this afternoon about the FC69907 pilot bearing to be used instead of the bushing. That bearing is available locally but after inspecting the crankshaft it will not work either. The FC69907 bearing is for a 1.816 hole in the crank shaft and the hole in my crank is only 1.550" That is over .250" difference. I am stumped on what to do right now. Has anyone had similar problems to this or have any suggestions???

Thank you,

Yep, you are experiencing the early A syndrome, where they changed all that the very next year!! How bout having that pilot bushing remade by a machinist, or chucked in and turned down a bit! Shouldn't take much time or $$ to get it right for you!! Geof

Not all cranks from the factory were drilled for a 4spd pilot bushing, as you have found; the hole that is there is a rough drilling operation, like a center drill operation.
Find a shop that will turn the OD of your bushing down .040 which would leave you a .001 press fit.
Make sure the hole is deep enough so the input shaft does not bottom out.

I think that will get you down the road in good shape; the alternative is to pull you crank shaft out and have a shop drill it for the pilot bushing.

Good luck.

I found a local machine shop this afternoon that turned down the OD on a lathe for me for $20. It fit like perfectly. Now the flywheel, clutch and bellhousing are on. Transmission will be in yet tonight so that I can finish up the rest tomorrow.

after you install the bell housing measure the depth of the hole from the trans surface to bottom of hole ,it could be a little short by 1/4 inch ,sometimes you can cut a small piece off the input shaft to correct problems. good luck.

-
Back