66 Barracuda radio wiring

-

spycam

Reaction score
In the Service Manual there is a diagram showing a radio with reverb. The dark green wire from the radio shows connected to the speaker and the black seems to be going into the reverb. Then there seems to be a gray wire from the reverb to the other post on the speaker.

1) What if you have no reverb ? where does the black go ? Does it go to the other speaker post or just stay disconnected ?

2) Also I assume that ground is the chassis, so if the black wire does not go to the speaker then the speaker's second post should be grounded ?

Thanks for any help

Reverb was pre stereo way to give you the illusion of stereo through a mono system. Part of the wiring would be connected to a rear speaker on a delay to give you that slight illusion. If you don't have the reverb switch I would assume you just terminate that wire and leave unconnected.

My factory service diagram doesn't show anything for the radio beyond the fuse block feed.

I'm trying to attach the page that has the diagram. It's page I-19 in the 66 Plymouth Service Manual. Which Service Manual do you have ?

ServiceManualRadio.png

If you do not have the reverb, and only a front speaker, then both the black, and green wires go to the front speaker. I just looked at a 66 B-Cuda radio I have, and they have terminals on them,. the black wire is a male, with a grey boot on it. The green wire is a female terminal, with no boot. Just connect them both to the front speaker.
barracudadave67

Last edited:
Thanks, you mean the green wire not the grey. right ?

Yes, my black has a boot and is male, my green has no boot and is female. For a moment I thought maybe the black should be reserved for a second ("back") speaker, since the idea was to send a second signal to the reverb and let it delay it and cause a sensation of "concert hall" as they say in the manual. Are you sure that your black goes to the single speaker as well ?

Another question, what size condenser is attached to your coil ? My car came with no radio so none of these things are on it.

I appreciate your response.
SC

Spy cam
Yes I meant green wire ( I changed it, in post).
As long as I have messed with these ole radios, if you have only one speaker, both wires from the radio, go to it (the speaker).
I can't help you with the coil condenser, as my car is all bundled up for the winter, out side. But I can tell you there is a
condenser on the back of the dash, as I have that in my basement. Their is no writing on the condenser on back of dash. I have it all apart at present, to change all gages to after market gages.
barracudadave67

Another question, what size condenser is attached to your coil ? My car came with no radio so none of these things are on it.

I appreciate your response.
SC

Those are not at all critical. "Get a good parts man" (Yeh I know, hard) and insist that he (she) find a numerical/ pictorial guide if they don't know. Just ask for a generic radio noise suppression cap for the coil. I think Standard were "obvious" part numbers such as "RC-1" and "RC-2" or some such

An example from Summit this price is preposterous

Standard Motor Products RC15

If you have a cap kickin around out of a distributor you could use that as well

Thanks !
Where does the cap in the back of the dash connect to ?

Spy cam
Yes I meant green wire ( I changed it, in post).
As long as I have messed with these ole radios, if you have only one speaker, both wires from the radio, go to it (the speaker).
I can't help you with the coil condenser, as my car is all bundled up for the winter, out side. But I can tell you there is a
condenser on the back of the dash, as I have that in my basement. Their is no writing on the condenser on back of dash. I have it all apart at present, to change all gages to after market gages.
barracudadave67

Great help thanks. That makes sense. Do you know where the cap in the back of the dash mentioned above connect to ?

Spycam
The condenser on back of the 66 B-Cuda dash is mounted next to the vacuum gage, and is plugged onto the in-board terminal of the gas gage. Be carefull with the gas gage in the 66, cause it is also the "instrument voltage regulator", for the gages, and is very hard to repair. It cuts 12 volts down to 5 volts, that the other gages operate on.

barracudadave67

I appreciate all your help. I did find the part in the service manual about the condenser in the back of the instrument and thank you for confirming that. Incidentally I think in the manual they refer to the regulator as a 'voltage limiter', I guess to differentiate from the actual VR.

Yes, I know about the voltage regulator there, all my gauges died at some point, and I took the thing out and converted to a solid-state 5-volt regulator and now everything works again. The pain was that the board traces and socket pins had rotted out and it took me a while to solder things back together.

-
Back