66 Barracuda rear bumper pads or guards?

-

crawsfire

Reaction score
Hello,
It looks like the 66 Valiant and Cuda models use the same front bumper guards and in 66 the rear guards on the Cuda were changed to pads as in the pic. Is this right?

plymouth_barracuda_sport_coupe_1.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve never seen those before. They look like something they would had put on for shipping the cars via rail or truck back in the day since that part of the number sticks out the most.
All the ones I have seen were vertical front and rear.
I may be wrong but I’ve stripped more of these cars (1966) than I want to admit and never seen this style before.
Just my two cents.

I agree with other posters that the pads are correct for a '66 Plymouth "A" body line only, but in my experience correct for the full line if factory installed vs. dealer installed.

Last edited:
My '66 has them...If I remember correctly they have a threaded stud on the backside and secured with a nut.

66 Cuda rear bumper.jpg

You guys are lucky. This is what the 66 Darts have. Not too pretty!

017.JPG

I have a 66 Valiant / Barracuda rear bumper with what look like look oem guards that match the front. No pads. I can't find another set on a car. Sure look oem.

@crawsfire - Yours are likely dealer added per a buyers request. Dealers would put on whatever was available to make a sale. Period correct and looks right, just not factory installed.

@crawsfire - Yours are likely dealer added per a buyers request. Dealers would put on whatever was available to make a sale. Period correct and looks right, just not factory installed.
I thought that but they fit perfect, hard to believe that a company would make aftermarket guards for a one year only bu
Sure looks factory. Any idea what the brackets on each end of the bumper are for?

66 rear bumper.png

Those may be a set of '66 front guards mounted on the back. Never tried it personally but bumper shape in this area is similar. Maybe '65 Dart rears, also similar bumper shape. Maybe you have the only set of those ever made, or at least the last surviving set. It's all speculation given 50+ years have passed.

Those may be a set of '66 front guards mounted on the back. Never tried it personally but bumper shape in this area is similar. Maybe '65 Dart rears, also similar bumper shape. Maybe you have the only set of those ever made, or at least the last surviving set. It's all speculation given 50+ years have passed.
What do you think these brackets are for? One on each side and mount using the oem bolt hole?

rearbrkts.jpg

I'm stumped on those end mounts. My first thought was a CB antenna but two would not be needed and aluminum angle portion seems to lightweight to support one. Two far apart to be trailer safety chain mounts. Then comedy took over and I speculated that they were deer whistle mounts so you didn't hit one while backing up on rural roads. Nice fabrication effort though, matching the bumper contour with that base piece.

I'm stumped on those end mounts. My first thought was a CB antenna but two would not be needed and aluminum angle portion seems to lightweight to support one. Two far apart to be trailer safety chain mounts. Then comedy took over and I speculated that they were deer whistle mounts so you didn't hit one while backing up on rural roads. Nice fabrication effort though, matching the bumper contour with that base piece.
It's a two piece design, the base utilizes the oem bolt hole and then the outer bracket bolts to it. The only thing I can think of is back-up lights.

That's a strong possibility as well. The mods done to cars over their life are many and are often inexplicable without the back story.

I compared the front guards with the rear today, they are close but def different. I guess I'll write it off as an anomaly.

I’ve never seen those before. They look like something they would had put on for shipping the cars via rail or truck back in the day since that part of the number sticks out the most.
All the ones I have seen were vertical front and rear.
I may be wrong but I’ve stripped more of these cars (1966) than I want to admit and never seen this style before.
Just my two cents.
It was an Option in 1966 i have them they are clean looking

The bumper guards are probably dealer installed over the counter parts. If you remove one, they will likely have a pentastar and part number on the back side. The car that bumper came off of had a CB if I remember correctly so that other bracket was for an antenna.

-
Back