66 barracuda - wire sparking/heating up

-

IbJoeC

Reaction score
Morning,
Going to ask for forgiveness and not just "go search", as the car needs to move sooner than later. Used to call my dad on this type of stuff, but unfortunately he passed away back in December.

Quick rundown...
273 with minor upgrades (carb/manifold, pertronics)

Since being freshened up about 4 years ago, the car has run great. Battery is 4 years old. Replaced the alternator and voltage regulator 2 years ago, and have had zero issues since. Flash forward to yesterday.

Took the car out to get an inspection sticker. Fired right up, but I noticed the blinkers were slow, then stopped working. Thought it was strange, but it hadn't been driven in about a month. Once at the dealership, it wouldn't stay running. I drove it home, only to have it die on me repeatedly. Hit it with a charger, fires up, drives for a bit, stalls.

Decided to get a fresh battery. When I attached it, a wire started smoking from the terminal. Didn't know if it was simply too much battery (though exactly the same) and tried it again. Same issue. The wire is on the bottom left of the block with a fusible link. Below is a picture.

Can anyone let me know:
1. Has this happened to you before?
2. If yes, what did you replace?
3. Can you point me in the right direction?

Appreciate any help. My thumb is on the wire.

wire.jpg

Thats a picture of the fusable link. Sounds like you have a short somewhere you need to chase down. Unfortunately you have to trouble shoot it. First suspect would be the ammeter.

Agree there is a short.
Its probably not in the ammeter, but the ammeter will tell you if its downsteam of the meter.
Look at the meter before connecting and then after connecting the battery.
Or better yet, have someone look at hte mete rwhile you briefly connect it.

1664461378681.png

When the battery is connected, there should be no spark and no current flow unless somehting is turned on (eg dome light).

Fusible link protects when there is a severe short downstream of the link.
For example the headlight feed pinched by the metal
1664461494647.png

Found a split wire. Going to assume this was the culprit.

Will report back. Appreciate the quick responses. Car normally runs like a top!

-
Back