66 Console vs 67-9Console vs 67-9

-

64_Barracuda

Virginia Beach VA
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Fellow Early A Members,

I am building a 65 Signet. Later model drive train 73ish, I want to put a 66 Barracuda console in it as I put in a 66 dash, however they are hard to come by. But 67-9 are not that hard, does anyone know if 7-9 will work? The bell crank and shifter rods look very similar.

First picture is a 7-9
Second is a 66.

AMD sells the 7-9 shifter brackets and stuff so I am leaning that way.

Any and all help would be great.

Attachments

• s-l1600-2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 189
  • s-l1600-3.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 203
I'm not aware of any differences in the console or any of the brackets, save for your photo evidence that the lower shift lever looks to be straight instead of offset like the one in the first pic!! Looks like all of the other items are the same as the many consoles I've removed from 66 Cudas!!

I'm not aware of any differences in the console or any of the brackets, save for your photo evidence that the lower shift lever looks to be straight instead of offset like the one in the first pic!! Looks like all of the other items are the same as the many consoles I've removed from 66 Cudas!!

Cosgig,
Thanks for the input bud, appreciate it! I was thinking the same thing that I could just manipulate the cutout and bend it into submission. Any chance you have pictures of a naked console? looking for a reference, the 66 Service manual is ok but.... pics of an actual car would be better....

66 only rear console bracket has a caged nut (later have a pilot gap slightly smaller than the bolt diameter) and the lower torque shaft bracket on 66 is all metal without a nylon bushing.

in the pic you have the later version of those items. They all function the same but its just a dead giveaway as to the origin of 66 only parts.

also ....66 only has a oval lower boot where the 67+ has a round boot ....looks like you have the 66 in your pics

Attachments

• 20130327_172402.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 155
66 only rear console bracket has a caged nut (later have a pilot gap slightly smaller than the bolt diameter) and the lower torque shaft bracket on 66 is all metal without a nylon bushing.

in the pic you have the later version of those items. They all function the same but its just a dead giveaway as to the origin of 66 only parts.

Thanks! So if I used all 67 and up parts including the AMD console brackets would that work do you think? I have no problem modifying a bit, 66 parts are just so hard to find.

The top picture i have is the round later model, bottom is oval, both on ebay right now. Shifters appear to be repopped now.

Thanks! So if I used all 67 and up parts including the AMD console brackets would that work do you think? I have no problem modifying a bit, 66 parts are just so hard to find.

The top picture i have is the round later model, bottom is round, both on ebay right now. Shifters appear to be repopped now.

yes they will all function the same but I am just saying for reference just in case you wanted true 66 parts.

a few years ago the 66 stuff was pretty easy to find but it seems everything is changing with the newly emerging re-pop market.

I did find the rod that goes from the shifter to the bellcrank is different. One would work and the other almost work. Don't know what year I ended up using. And 67 up has a nice stamp on the floor to tell you where to cut to mount bellcrank. 66 does not have. You really need to get this right. You also need to get brackets right on the money.

Yeah so my thought was to put the lower bell crank mount that attaches to the transmission in and then use a screwdriver to act as a pilot up though for the hole marking. Then line the mount up as close as I can get it. As it turns out Classic Auto sells all the pieces.. minus the mount which AMD has.

I don't care much on whether its 66 or 67 parts, which ever is easier to get. Looks like 67 should win....

The rear of the cutout for the bellcrank touches the crossmember, that is how far back it goes. I can get you a pic if you REALLY need! i will have to jack up my 66.

The rear of the cutout for the bellcrank touches the crossmember, that is how far back it goes. I can get you a pic if you REALLY need! i will have to jack up my 66.

No Tim thats ok, I think I am on the right track. I think I am going with the 67 setup, Classic Industries looks like the sell most of the stuff.

-
Back