66 Cuda hood hinge/prop options

-

CruzinFNC

Reaction score
I was wondering what options are available for hood hinges and hood props for an early Barracuda. I've swapped in a GenIII hemi and the torsion bar style hood props were removed to allow fitment for the motor drop (they're gone now). If I bolt the hood on to the existing (floppy) hinges it seems it will just loosely flop around and likely chaff off the paint between the hood and body, and I will need a rod prop to support the hood while open. I'm sure somebody has done this and there's probably even an of-the-shelf product that'll work. For what it's worth, I have considered going with a glass hood and pins but that may be awhile down the road. Ideas? Thanks in advance!

I think there's a thread here on FABO where someone used the 67 and later style coil spring hood hinges! I'll see if I can find the link and post it here!!

Thanks Cosgig, that'll be great! I just found your thread regarding the Trunk Lid Prop Rod Assembly, and is also what I've been looking for. I sent Mike an email, so hopefully he has another one.

I was wondering what options are available for hood hinges and hood props for an early Barracuda. I've swapped in a GenIII hemi and the torsion bar style hood props were removed to allow fitment for the motor drop (they're gone now). If I bolt the hood on to the existing (floppy) hinges it seems it will just loosely flop around and likely chaff off the paint between the hood and body, and I will need a rod prop to support the hood while open. I'm sure somebody has done this and there's probably even an of-the-shelf product that'll work. For what it's worth, I have considered going with a glass hood and pins but that may be awhile down the road. Ideas? Thanks in advance!

Crusi'n,
I am in the same boat you are, how did you get the torsion bars off? Mine are bent and the hood doesn't close well. Looking for alternate solutions, saw a guy do gas prop rods... Please keep us posted in how you go about it.

Cosgig, thanks for digging up the links!
64_Barracuda, other than what Cosgig linked above I may not be able to help you much. As mentioned above, the previous owner had removed the torsion bar hood supports (I think he cut them off) and welded the holes closed (pics below), along with the bulkhead connector and other peepholes in the firewall. It turns out my worries were unfounded. Although the hinges are floppy loose laterally, they are tight in their pivot. So when I bolted the hood on, it was very tight and stable in its range of motion: no lateral flop! The only thing I'm missing is spring assist and support so it stays up when open. The links above are nice & clean solutions for this, especially the gas struts in the fender. But I've decided to just use a prop rod of some sort to hold the hood open for now. I'm a bit fabrication fatigued at this point in this long project and I just want to drive it. Also, the car has never been apart and I've had the engine compartment painted and I don't want to pull the fenders off unless I really, really have to. I've got a lead on another hood I'm gonna use to cut out the ribbing and maybe put a scoop on so I'm not cutting into the original. That will also make it lighter and more manageable.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 142
  • image2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 124
-
Back