'66 Cuda is Back on the road! WooHoo!

-

Darwin

Evolutionary Member
Reaction score
After 27 months of fun and frustration, my '66 Barracuda is road ready.
Its not really done, still needs carpet and a few other odds and ends, but are they ever really done.
This was a father/son project from day one and man did it pay off. The last thing we did was have the front end aligned, and when we picked it up, of course, I had to let my son drive it home. You should have seen the look on his face :toothy7: Priceless. And ya... I think he will be the coolest kid on campus this fall.
Thanks to all the great folks here on fabo for your great advice, inspiration and needed parts.

Enough of the talking already.
NOW this is how we roll!

Attachments

• Cuda 010.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 174
  • Cuda 016.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 177
  • Cuda 015.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 191
  • Cuda 014.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 210
  • Cuda 013.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 184
  • Cuda 012.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 178
  • Cuda 011.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 186
Heres a few more in case you missed something the first time around

Attachments

• Cuda 017.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 172
  • Cuda 018.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 183
  • Cuda 019.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 200
  • Cuda 020.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 181
  • Cuda 022.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 165
I really like the Magnum 500s. Thinking about doing that with my 65 Dart convert!

Gun metal grey lookin good! I like the shaved bumpers

I really like the Magnum 500s. Thinking about doing that with my 65 Dart convert!

Thanks, the magnum 500's just happened to be what I had laying around, you don't often see those on early A-bodies, thought it looked pretty cool.

Gun metal grey lookin good! I like the shaved bumpers

Thanks, the bumpers where almost ready for the scrap yard, but then I realized how difficult it is to find bumpers at all for a '66, so I sandblasted them and ironed them out as best I could. At that point it just made sense to shave the bolts as well.
I also shaved all the emblems of of the hood, trunk and fenders as well as the radio antenna and fender top turn signals, and deleted the rear quarter spears. Just thought I'd do something a little different.

rockin' the 6 too, tight! SBP Magnums? Ill add those to my list

Very nice job with the changes, not everyone can pull that off. You didn't over do it. You can really appreciate the lines of the car now. Your son is very lucky to have the coolest car and to have so much father/son time.

rockin' the 6 too, tight! SBP Magnums? Ill add those to my list

Oh Ya! Leaning tower of power baby! All original, 65,000 miles, that was in the car when I got it. Cleaned it up, replaced the water pump, fuel pump, thermostat, rebuilt the carb and gave it a fresh coat of Chrysler red paint. My son was begging me to put a 273 in but I figure at his age, now 17, he can't get into too much trouble with the /6.

Nope on the SBP Magnums. I converted the front end to LBP power discs from a 73 Dart sport and the rear is a 7.25 LBP out of a 73 Swinger 318 car.

Nice.....I too like the wheels,great look.
Thank you, not the wheels my son wanted on the car, but I had those laying in my garage since I sold my Volare back in '85. Its amazing what you can pull off when working with a very tight budget.

Very nice job with the changes, not everyone can pull that off. You didn't over do it. You can really appreciate the lines of the car now. Your son is very lucky to have the coolest car and to have so much father/son time.

Thanks much goldfish, it means a lot to hear positive coments when you start to make changes from what Ma Mopar put out at the factory. And like stated above, when on a budget, sometimes those changes are more out of neccessity than desire. We weren't looking to build a 100 point trailer queen, although I do enjoy looking at those as well, we just wanted something we could build together and enjoy driving.

As for the father/son time...priceless.

great looking ride-- how much help was your 17 year old? My 17 year old son is too busy with girls & sports-- so he drives an older heating/cooling f150.

That is fabulous work! That car makes a statement just sitting. Lawrence

I am digg'in that 66 Barracuda :love4: Congratulations on a very well thought out build =D>=D>
Aren't the 66 lines so nize \\:D/ the 500'es look great.... Make sure yall share driving time :toothy7:
Thank you for keeping these cool mopars on the road :hello2::thumleft:

I think it was the great philosopher and thinker of thoughts "The Burger King" who said..."Have it Your Way!!! Everything on the car looks great to me, and you should have to answer to no one when it comes to the changes you made, whether they be fiscal or preferable!! Nice job Darwin, and as a lover of both 66 Cuda's AND Whoppers, I think the king is right!!! Geof

great looking ride-- how much help was your 17 year old? My 17 year old son is too busy with girls & sports-- so he drives an older heating/cooling f150.

That is fabulous work! That car makes a statement just sitting. Lawrence

He was a great help. My deal when we started was that I would not work on the car without him, pretty tough for me as I really like working on older stuff. I made sure he was involved in evey step along the way, in fact, many times it was him motivating me to work on it. He too is very involved in school sports as well as student gov., and maintaining a 4.0 grade point. Lots to be proud of here. I just hope I get a chance to drive it once in a while.

Thanks everyone for the accolades, makes it all worth while.

cosgig, I love the great philosopher Burger King analogy, and always loved your '66.
By the way, thats the m/c bracket you sold me, couldn't have done it without great folk like you.

Bob

See, thats a testament to your work, I didn't even recognize that bracket!!!LOL!!! I'm glad theres a little piece of me on your car, I like knowing that I helped in some way. Tell your son to enjoy that car, he really deserves it!!! Geof

-
Back