66 Cuda question

-

chryslerfat

Reaction score
I called to see about buying a new rad. for my 66 with a 273 and NAPA says that their book for new rads only goes back to 67. I asked about Valiant because thats how I order other parts for the Cuda and same thing. My question is can I order one for a 67 and will it work. BTW both my hoses are on the drivers side.

The 67 and 66 are different body styles and the 66's have a smaller engine bay. I would guess no, a 67 rad won't fit. But I don't know for sure.
You can have your 66 rad recored and it will be as good as new.

I know that a radiator out of a '65 Dart will bolt into a '77 Volare. Did that once. Don't see why a '67 radiator wouldn't bolt into your '66. Might have to change water pumps if the '67 outlet is on the passenger side, or have the outlet moved. If the tanks are decent, why not just take what you have to a local radiator shop? You know it fits and works, and the cost of a rebuild at a local shop is less than a new one would be.

The main reason I ask is the radiator shop that builds the bus radiators where I work I asked him how much to rebuild mine and he says because of the round tanks he has to build my core using my radiator. No problem was my answer how much his answer was I cant give a price until I build it. Ok around what price so i am prepared he says not sure. So I dont want to have to pay him more than new if he wont shoot a round number within 100 dollars.

Pretty much any 22" radiator will fit, except maybe C-body ones or truck ones, they're a little taller. An A-body is an A-body, even early A-bodies. (with certain exceptions). Just because the engine bay is narrower has nothing to do with it. I had a '68 Max Wedge rad in my '65 Barracuda when I bought it. I recently put a '66 rad into a '69 Valiant. It's a no brainer, all the 22" a-body rads are basically the same.

What you need to watch out for is the position of the top and bottom inlets and maybe the bolt hole locations. If you want stock, then you'll need to make sure the inlets are in the right locations, any good rad shop can relocate them if you want, or change your water pump, but then you'll have to change your front cover (timing marks) and all that ****...too much headache. Have the rad shop move the inlets instead.

I just happen to have a couple of radiators for sale that would fit your car with no changes or alterations to anything. They are listed as being for a 1965 car, but I'm pretty sure they'd work in your 66. :thumbup:

I have one for a 65 A-body 273 car with automatic trans........

http://www.bidmopar.com/index.php?a=2&b=1266

...and I have one for a 65 A-body 273 car with standard trans........

http://www.bidmopar.com/index.php?a=2&b=1265

I just took these pics a couple of days ago and they are both in stock and available to ship immeadiately. But I only have one of each!

Here in my area, the old, experienced radiator shop guy will recore your early 22 inch A Body radiator with a 3 core for right at $300.

The main reason I ask is the radiator shop that builds the bus radiators where I work I asked him how much to rebuild mine and he says because of the round tanks he has to build my core using my radiator. No problem was my answer how much his answer was I cant give a price until I build it. Ok around what price so i am prepared he says not sure. So I dont want to have to pay him more than new if he wont shoot a round number within 100 dollars.

I'm a little late to the thread but I'm in the same boat. There are about a million repair jobs on my radiator and I have a new pinhole so I'd like to get new. Local radiator guy has nothing that will fit my 65 cuda and local price for a recore is 350 and up!!! Guess I'll patch it again and pray to the lottery gods.

Here in my area, the old, experienced radiator shop guy will recore your early 22 inch A Body radiator with a 3 core for right at $300.

-
Back