66 dart gasser options

-

David66dart

Reaction score
I am building my 66 dodge dart. Threw it togother with a small block and ran it for about a year, I'm building a 451 now and I was thinking it would free up a lot of space to make it a gasser. I found this speedway kit for a chevy nova. The novas frame rails center to center are almost identical so this could work. I can weld and have friends that can help but impute on the topic would be appreciated. If possible I would like to do it for cheaper sence this kit does not come with brakes, by the time you buy the brake kit you are looking ar roughly 2000$
This is the kit 1962-67 Chevy II Nova Front End Bolt-On Gasser Axle Suspension Kit

If memory serves me correctly (no guarantees there), standard procedure was to use A100 van/pickup front axles under the A bodies- I even remember a "how to" article on it in an old Hot Rod or Car Life on the process showing how it's done, by either the Ramchargers or Golden Commandos... it would be worth the hunt.

If memory serves me correctly (no guarantees there), standard procedure was to use A100 van/pickup front axles under the A bodies- I even remember a "how to" article on it in an old Hot Rod or Car Life on the process showing how it's done, by either the Ramchargers or Golden Commandos... it would be worth the hunt.
How was the steering set up? This ci UK ld be much more cost effective then the speedway kit. Although everything in the kit is new

Front axle, springs with hangers, and brakes from a 1971 or earlier D100 is probably your best bet. I would grab all the steering components including the column, too. It also already has a 4-1/2 on 5 lug pattern to boot. You could probably convert to front discs if you wanted, but the drums would be okay in my book. The 1966 Dart has a track width of 591/2 inches, and the D100 has track width of 60 inches. Nothing a little wheel backspacing adjustment wouldn't fix.

I don't recall exactly, the article was from the early/mid 60s after all; heck I can't even remember what I had for breakfast and it's only 11 am...
Start Googlin' and see what you can hunt down, nothin' better to do on a rainy Sunday am. I'll let you know if I find the article, too.

Front axle, springs with hangers, and brakes from a 1971 or earlier D100 is probably your best bet. I would grab all the steering components including the column, too. It also already has a 4-1/2 on 5 lug pattern to boot. You could probably convert to front discs if you wanted, but the drums would be okay in my book. The 1966 Dart has a track width of 591/2 inches, and the D100 has track width of 60 inches. Nothing a little wheel backspacing adjustment wouldn't fix.
Thanks!

The track is close on the Ds, but I think the A100s were closer to A body frame width for the leaf spring hangers... and those D100 front brakes are BIG and heavy... but hey, use what you can locate and make work the easiest- that's hot rodding! Lots of good ways to skin a cat...

True that those D100 brakes are big and heavy, but they got a lot of stopping power at the end of a run. That may be a good thing with that 451, but I would think one of the Wilwood conversion disc brake kits would fit the truck axle.

-
Back