65' Dart straight axle info

-

Mopartist

Reaction score
Hi guys. I didn't want to hijack anyones thread ; so I thought I'd start a new one. I have a 65' Dart and am considering going with a straight axle. The thing is that I don't want to go with an altered wheelbase. What I'm wondering is; does the straight axle have to be brought forward for clearance purpouses? Or can it be mounted in the "stock" wheelbase location? I'm also wondering about the pics of the "Charlie Allen" 66' Dart. It is evident that the straight axle has been brough forward (thus the wheelwells have been trimmed); but the rear axle "looks" like it is in the stock location. Does anyone know for sure?

7-08-4.jpg

You dont have to move anything putting the wheels all the way up is just part of the Look, The only issue you might face is fenferwell header clearance if you are running them. Both FunnyCarFarmer and myself have early A-body strait axle cars so feel free to contact either of us with any questions. If you arent going to move the wheels foward I suggest the Speedway motors kit it has the shortest spring.

val 002.jpg

val 010.jpg

You should be fine. I echo what Bronx mentioned. Speedway kit'd be about the fastest, cheapest way to go. But don't plan on any wheelies, or pothole bouncing. Alot of gasser guys are beginning to see bent kingpins. I'm not sure if its just due to the high spring rates, or the straightaxle tubing being on the thin side. Alot of drag guys are getting them made out of chromoly steel. You could always just grab an A-100 assembly. My guys up your way tell me they are plenty in the wrecking yards up there. Just swap to a shorter spring, cut five and a half inches out, ah,- - - - nevermind. Maybe its just alot more simple to order a Speedway kit.

You should be fine. I echo what Bronx mentioned. Speedway kit'd be about the fastest, cheapest way to go. But don't plan on any wheelies, or pothole bouncing. Alot of gasser guys are beginning to see bent kingpins. I'm not sure if its just due to the high spring rates, or the straightaxle tubing being on the thin side. Alot of drag guys are getting them made out of chromoly steel. You could always just grab an A-100 assembly. My guys up your way tell me they are plenty in the wrecking yards up there. Just swap to a shorter spring, cut five and a half inches out, ah,- - - - nevermind. Maybe its just alot more simple to order a Speedway kit.

I too am considering the straight axle option. I'd like to chat with the Farmer at Springfling about the motor mount placement and the steering options

64 Dart Side view.jpg

I,m getting a little interested also,don,t see many Gasser looking vehicles up my way.Scrapyards were all cleaned last year when a Dodge minivan would get ya $600 for scrap!All old heavy stuff was scraped.What a shame!Any sites for buying stright axel kits would be appreaciated.

trim 064.jpg

After the fellow who owned the altered wheelbase '65/66 Dart, Corruptors pup, (Liberty Dodge) hit the wall, I would be very careful about messing with the wheelbase on a car that was meant to be driven on the street.

Hi guys. I didn't want to hijack anyones thread ; so I thought I'd start a new one. I have a 65' Dart and am considering going with a straight axle. The thing is that I don't want to go with an altered wheelbase. What I'm wondering is; does the straight axle have to be brought forward for clearance purpouses? Or can it be mounted in the "stock" wheelbase location? I'm also wondering about the pics of the "Charlie Allen" 66' Dart. It is evident that the straight axle has been brough forward (thus the wheelwells have been trimmed); but the rear axle "looks" like it is in the stock location. Does anyone know for sure?

Charlie Allens Dart had a fiberglass exterior body, doors, fenders, hood, and bumpers. The entire front clip was snipped off and a boxed set of front frame rails were fabbed in. The springs were custom made and located to allow 4 inches of lift before the wheels went up. That car was purpose built from one end to the other. The wheelbase is NOT stock it is slightly stretched. The rear wheel openings were nearly identical to stock.

The wheelbase on Charlie Allens Dart is stretched slightly. The rear wheel openings are nearly stock, and the front spring location is due to specially made front springs that were to allow exactly 4 inches of lift before the front wheels pulled off the ground.
Charlies Dart had a fiberglass body, doors, fenders, hood, and bumpers. His car was purpose built from one end to the other. It also had a Corvair front steering assembly.

"After the fellow who owned the altered wheelbase '65/66 Dart, Corruptors pup, (Liberty Dodge) hit the wall, I would be very careful about messing with the wheelbase on a car that was meant to be driven on the street."

Messing with the wheel base doesnt cause you to crash, not squaring the car up can make it "crab", who knows if somthing broke, if the guy couldnt drive. If it wasnt for messing with the wheelbase funny cars would still have doors!

"After the fellow who owned the altered wheelbase '65/66 Dart, Corruptors pup, (Liberty Dodge) hit the wall, I would be very careful about messing with the wheelbase on a car that was meant to be driven on the street."

Messing with the wheel base doesnt cause you to crash, not squaring the car up can make it "crab", who knows if somthing broke, if the guy couldnt drive. If it wasnt for messing with the wheelbase funny cars would still have doors!

Actually the car is an original altered wheelbase car, and the driver is probably the number one historic Mopar race car restoration guy in the country...world for that matter. The Hemi made over 700 hp, and the combination of altered wheelbase, high horsepower, and modern tires caused the car to wheelstand nearly the entire quarter mile. If I remember correctly the car ran 8flat @ 149 mph just before it hit. He put the car back to beautiful and sold it. Everyone close to that car said it was dangerous.
Just saying be careful, and for a guy who just wants a street car and isn't into nostalgia racing, I'd forget straight axle.
All good.

The wheelbase on Charlie Allens Dart is stretched slightly. The rear wheel openings are nearly stock, and the front spring location is due to specially made front springs that were to allow exactly 4 inches of lift before the front wheels pulled off the ground.
Charlies Dart had a fiberglass body, doors, fenders, hood, and bumpers. His car was purpose built from one end to the other. It also had a Corvair front steering assembly.

Did the car have a compleat sCovair steering or just the box.? Covair used cross steer were the linkage went over to the right spindle. The normal "hot rod thing' was to turn the box upside down so it worked backward and you could now hook it to the left spindle.
GEORGE!!:read2:

Actually the car is an original altered wheelbase car, and the driver is probably the number one historic Mopar race car restoration guy in the country...world for that matter. The Hemi made over 700 hp, and the combination of altered wheelbase, high horsepower, and modern tires caused the car to wheelstand nearly the entire quarter mile. If I remember correctly the car ran 8flat @ 149 mph just before it hit. He put the car back to beautiful and sold it. Everyone close to that car said it was dangerous.
Just saying be careful, and for a guy who just wants a street car and isn't into nostalgia racing, I'd forget straight axle.
All good.

Naw, I remember back in the 60's and 70's when those cars were the norm. Nothing wrong with that combo as long as it's done correctly and not a hack job. I would rather my Dart have a straight axle set-up than some of these so called 4WDs that are running around jacked up 5 or more feet.

Just an FYI. In the latest Mopar Collectors Guide there is an ad from one of the disk brake vendors advertising a disk brake set-up for the A-100.

Yes but they use some GM YUK:munky2:parts. On the A-100 site Scottie has a set-up that uses Dakota parts.
GEORGE!!
Just an FYI. In the latest Mopar Collectors Guide there is an ad from one of the disk brake vendors advertising a disk brake set-up for the A-100.

Did the car have a compleat sCovair steering or just the box.? Covair used cross steer were the linkage went over to the right spindle. The normal "hot rod thing' was to turn the box upside down so it worked backward and you could now hook it to the left spindle.
GEORGE!!:read2:

Pretty sure it was just the box, the front axle was built for Sportsman spindles. I don't remember what the article said about steering linkage. I do remember it had a very funky master cylinder that was mounted under the drivers floorboard, and the brake pedal was mounted all the say to the left side on the floor. The master cylinder pushrod pushed to the rear, not forward.

With respect, I must disagree about street usage for an altered wheelbase car. The cars built during the sixties had a whole lot going for them,but sometimes it was not all good. I currently have two, complete driving altered wheelbase Darts pounding the asphalt, with no drivability issues .One, Steve Maganante's, back on the East Coast, and mine, out here in the West. Granted, the are not 750-plus horsepower drivetrains, but if done safely and correctly, with attention paid to the "little details", these cars drive similar to any car of the era. They drive and steer like an older truck, if I can make a comparison. At speed, on the dragstrip, they are predictable, and do not show any "bad behavior".

By the way, AAJ brakes, up in Oregon, is currently offering an A-100 set-up that utilizes the Volare brake set-up, if that helps out.

The Liberty Motors Corruptors Pup car had a bit of an evolution of its own. It has been more than just an altered car. Great to see it restored, but its a restoration of a later version of the race car. Somewhere, I have a picture of, that is somewhat different than its current look.

Dale

With respect, I must disagree about street usage for an altered wheelbase car. The cars built during the sixties had a whole lot going for them,but sometimes it was not all good. I currently have two, complete driving altered wheelbase Darts pounding the asphalt, with no drivability issues .One, Steve Maganante's, back on the East Coast, and mine, out here in the West. Granted, the are not 750-plus horsepower drivetrains, but if done safely and correctly, with attention paid to the "little details", these cars drive similar to any car of the era. They drive and steer like an older truck, if I can make a comparison. At speed, on the dragstrip, they are predictable, and do not show any "bad behavior".

By the way, AAJ brakes, up in Oregon, is currently offering an A-100 set-up that utilizes the Volare brake set-up, if that helps out.

The Liberty Motors Corruptors Pup car had a bit of an evolution of its own. It has been more than just an altered car. Great to see it restored, but its a restoration of a later version of the race car. Somewhere, I have a picture of, that is somewhat different than its current look.

Dale

Dale, I'm not going to get on the wrong side of a discussion regarding AWB cars. I love them, and I intended to build a Dart similar to The Executioner car a LONG time ago after a deal for a D/Dart fell through. I still have a few goodies that I could pull out to put that AWB car together. I'd certainly like to race A/FX in the Nostalgia thing with a 4-speed.
anyway, I have no doubt that a fairly predictable AWB car can be run on the street. However the combination of REAL power, an altered wheelbase, and modern tires is a real issue, and probably left to people who have experience. Running a smallblock in an AWB just seems silly to me.
I was told that on the track, hooking the Pup up was extremely difficult, and I've seen the photos of that day. The car would go wheels up at the drop of a hat, and it would STAY that way. Screwing around with something like that may not be everyones cup of tea even if they are convinced it is. Bench racing at a keyboard is most likely not the best way to determine this. Going to a track with you fellows would be.
Incidently the original rear from the Pup is sitting in my garage. After the Hemi made so much power, he built a Dana, and I bought the 8 3/4. Here is another little gem I was thinking about using in an AWB...

Well said. I really hope that you can get the stuff together, and come out and have a good time. After all, that is what its really all about! All smiles all the time!!
Dale

Hey Dale, do you have a picture of your steering and motor mount set-up?

hey hows it going dude i got a 66 dart with a 383 stuffed in it 13:1 big *** tunnel ram and dual 600 holley 4 barrels which speedway kit did u get the ford or chevy and was it the 44inch axle or the 46 inch axle like i really didnt know where 2 measure and went from ball joint 2 balljoint and got like 45 inch but im not sure if thats right place 2 measure for the straight axle so if u could get back 2 me asap i would greatly appicreate it thanks dude

I talked with a guy at Springfling that was showing an early b body with a straight axle set-up. based on what he told me I think I'll pass on the straight axle idea. It would be cool but for what i want to do I won't be the best path to run.

-
Back