66 Dart GT fender trim installation

-

ddartdude

Reaction score
How do you put the aluminum trim piece on? I removed a set, with clips, from one fender and I'm putting it on the D/Dart. Does it slide on or is it snapped on? I have 3 metal clips and one nylon clip.
I'm thinking the clips are installed on the fender and then the aluminum trim piece is slid from the door edge up to the cast chrome GT piece on the front of the fender.
Help....my project for tomorrow.

I have a 66 Dart here an hour west of Vero Beach. I may be removing the drivers fender tomorrow. Or is not a GT, though. I can see how moulding attaches.

How do you put the aluminum trim piece on? I removed a set, with clips, from one fender and I'm putting it on the D/Dart. Does it slide on or is it snapped on? I have 3 metal clips and one nylon clip.
I'm thinking the clips are installed on the fender and then the aluminum trim piece is slid from the door edge up to the cast chrome GT piece on the front of the fender.
Help....my project for tomorrow.
I seem to remember that I used these to install my trim on for my GT. and yes it slid on the front pot metal fin.
I ended up doing it all together to align everything up, but you could slide it a bit going from the door to the front piece. I know for sure that these are the ones you use for the rear pieces that curve down to the tail lights
20151120_182920.jpg

20151120_183013.jpg

DSCF3034.JPG

the passengers side has 1 more hole than the drivers side due to the fact that the drivers side on mine had 2 pins and the passengers side had 3 . I checked my other 66 dart gt and it's the same.
DSCF4104.jpg

passengers side
DSCF4105.jpg

those clips are used on the rear stainless trim also.
DSCF3807.JPG

Last edited:
I seem to remember that I used these to install my trim on for my GT. and yes it slid on the front pot metal fin.
I ended up doing it all together to align everything up, but you could slide it a bit going from the door to the front piece. I know for sure that these are the ones you use for the rear pieces that curve down to the tail lights
View attachment 1715050088

View attachment 1715050089
View attachment 1715050090
the passengers side has 1 more hole than the drivers side due to the fact that the drivers side on mine had 2 pins and the passengers side had 3 . I checked my other 66 dart gt and it's the same.
View attachment 1715050093

passengers side
View attachment 1715050094
those clips are used on the rear stainless trim also.
View attachment 1715050091

These are the clips that I took off a spare set of GT fenders that came with the car. The first two shown are facing down (the fender) and the third shows a rubber gasket that goes in the hole to seal it. The nylon clip goes in the last hole by the door. So with this setup, would you snap the trim piece down on the clips or slide it along the fender?

Fender clips 20170520_192959_resized.jpg

I would never Slide the trim along the fender as it would damage the paint. You have to snap them on one by one.
did you say you had spare 66 fenders? I bought my station wagon without a right front fender and without the front end. I have no Grill and I have no bumper nor any other trim that goes up front. I do have the left front fender but the trim is missing on the side of it. Do you have any of that stuff? I was thinking of putting a valiant front end on it because that's all I have.

These are the clips that I took off a spare set of GT fenders that came with the car. The first two shown are facing down (the fender) and the third shows a rubber gasket that goes in the hole to seal it. The nylon clip goes in the last hole by the door. So with this setup, would you snap the trim piece down on the clips or slide it along the fender?

View attachment 1715050165

I'd snap them down if I could since your clips look to be "install clip in fender, squeeze center part to lock in fender and then snap in over the lips. sort of like the rocker molding clips do
DSCF2509.jpg

DSCF2510.jpg

both my 66's are totally different (the felt/rubberized circle the seal the clip to the fender is off the clips since it's not a permanent install yet) mine go into the trim and positioned for the holes and then pushed into the fender.

and excuse the dust and dirt since I'm working on the garage to re-organize it (sort of a lost cause but I keep trying)
20170521_172003.jpg

20170521_172012.jpg

the clip
20170521_172051.jpg

the one closest to the door is a threaded clip and locks the trim position so it stays on the front piece and doesn't slide back to hit the door trim.

Last edited:
66Dvert----Where are you from in Mich? I'm from Warren. Chrysler retiree.
Just went out and looked at the other Dart. Looks like it has both the threaded and snap clips on the front fender. The doors and short quarter panel trim pieces take the spring clips like you show on the front fender. I'm missing one of those and about 6 of the rocker panel clips. Not bad considering it's been apart for about 20 years. And it was shipped from CA to FL -- apart.

I have a 66 Dart here an hour west of Vero Beach. I may be removing the drivers fender tomorrow. Or is not a GT, though. I can see how moulding attaches.
Are you parting it out? Might need a driver side window regulator if it's a 2 door hardtop. I'm not sure what the other Dart trim looks like or attaches. Thanks for replying.

66Dvert----Where are you from in Mich? I'm from Warren. Chrysler retiree.
Just went out and looked at the other Dart. Looks like it has both the threaded and snap clips on the front fender. The doors and short quarter panel trim pieces take the spring clips like you show on the front fender. I'm missing one of those and about 6 of the rocker panel clips. Not bad considering it's been apart for about 20 years. And it was shipped from CA to FL -- apart.

I'm in florida now but I'm from Taylor, Mi. and a McGraw Glass plant (chryslers only glass plant )retiree. It's good that you have those clips since I have not been able to find anyone re-poping them (rocker molding clip) I had a guy in kentucky working with me on reproducing them but it fell through(as in way too expensive to make the die @ 6k. I'm looking for those fender trim clips my self and seem to be batting 0. That's one of the reasons I used the different style clips that were in my other dart's front trim. heck if that's all that is missing from being shipped apart then I'd call that GREAT!

I would never Slide the trim along the fender as it would damage the paint. You have to snap them on one by one.
did you say you had spare 66 fenders? I bought my station wagon without a right front fender and without the front end. I have no Grill and I have no bumper nor any other trim that goes up front. I do have the left front fender but the trim is missing on the side of it. Do you have any of that stuff? I was thinking of putting a valiant front end on it because that's all I have.
See next post. Not sure how this one got posted. and don't see a delete option.

Last edited:
I know if I let this stuff go, I'll need it, but I do have some extra parts. I think I have a pair of extra bumpers, about 4 grills, 4 rear deck lid trim panels for the GT, one 270 deck lid panel, extra tail lights, turn signals, and a bunch of other stuff.

-
Back