66 Dart Help Needed

-

rod7515

Reaction score
3 weeks ago I purchased a 66 Dart 270 Touring. Its in ok condition and I want to make it a nice street car that I can drive on weekends maybe race it 2 or 3 times a year. It would be nice to run ET's in the mid to high 11's. I have a few questions that I am hoping someone here can help with.

I have already bought an A body rear housing and I am looking for a center section rear with 4:30 gears. I plan on having a set of B body axles cut down which will allow me to have a BBP for the rear. I will be moving the springs in to create space for a much wider rear wheels and tires.
Now what do I do in the front end to get better steering ratio along with a BBP? I think I am going to have to change to a different steering box, maybe a rack/pinion. What will work and have the BBP. I think the 73 - 75 dusters can be used but will that work with a different steering / rack unit installed.

Second, is which motor to use. Currently it has a 273 but i have a 400 that is stroked available or a 360 with nothing done to it yet. Neither of these are mine but the machine shop I use has them available. I want to go with an overdrive trans and need to know what will bolt up to either choice. I have heard that the GM 7004r can bolt to the 360 but I dont think it will bolt to the 400? Does Chrysler have a good setup with over drive? Of course I am finding out that headers will be an issue no matter which way I go so any suggestions here are welcomed. I will need to add an exhaust system to drive on the street.

Of course there will be the search for interior and exterior parts. I have gotten some great advice on the trim and how to work on rebuilding many of the bad parts. Are there any venders or members that have a good inventory of Interior and exterior parts for a 66?

I look forward to any suggestions you have. I dont have a specific budget but want to do all this without overspending meaning everything doesnt have to be new. I dont have a completion date that I need to meet so time doesnt really matter.

Thanks for your help
Rodney

Seems like you're going to a lot of trouble to build a car that will only race 2-3 X /yr. Haven't heard of a 270 Touring. What body style and trim is it?

Now that I'm done carping, I may have a few suggestions that may be helpful. RE: Axles. I'm piecing together an 8.75 rear. I had a set of Moser shafts made up with the BBP for the A-body housing for little more than cutting down a pair of B-body shafts. RE: Gears. You're not likely to find 4:30s in a salvage yard, even in a truck. Suggest putting a want ad in on FABO, and check with racers who are leaving the 8.75 for a Dana 60. 4.30:1 is a ratio that is usually the province of racers, expect to find gears that have been hammered badly.

You can grab upper control arms and spindles from a 73+ for BBP disk brakes on your 66. While you're at it, get the master cylinder and distribution block from a 73-76 disk brake A-body as well. The newer assemblies will widen your front track out by about an inch and a half. This could make for some tight clearance on the outside view surface of the tire.

You can also use the 73-74 E-body spindle and brake as well. Some here will say that the 68-71 B-body and the F/M/J spindle will work, too. They will fit, but are not recommended.

http://www.moparaction.com/tech/archive/disc-main.html

If you decide to use a non-A-body spindle, the UCA must come from a 73+ A-body. The UCA does not need to come from a disk brake car as they all had the larger ball joint.

The engine selection seems to be a no brainer. More cubes is better. Caveat Emptor. It may be advisable to seek out the specifications of the camshaft. While the cam may be happy with the 4.30:1 rear, is it going to be happy the other 49-50 weeks of the year you aren't racing? For the recommendations I've seen other FABO members make, I can't recall one going over .520 lift. Most have stopped at .505 for the street.

There is a Mopar OD that doesn't require the computer. I can't remember which model it is.

While the exterior trim is usually make and model specific on the 66s, the same can not be said for a lot of the interior trim. I've found glove box doors and door hardware on other cars. The plastic trim on the front doors that says "Dart 270" can be found on a 65 model car. On the exterior trim, the chrome strips on the rear fender tops and the pot metal trim on the tail lights inter changes with the 65 model. I found that the driver's side is the hardest to find unblemished by the ravages of leaded fuel and no pollution control.

Back in the day, Doug's Headers made a good set for the '66 A-body. Dual exhausts are problematic for the 66 and earlier models. The TB cross-member is only notched for an exhaust pipe on the driver's side. ALL that I have seen that have routed the PAX side exhaust under the cross-member have crushed the pipe at some time. Suggest the Doug's tied to a 273-4v type exhaust. The sound of those oldies was beautiful.

273 with a hair drier (Turbo) on it , less money and easier changes to the carb and exhaust. works better if the 273's a lower compression.
2-3 grand(DIY)depending on parts you use. if you have it done maybe another 2 grand easy.

2-Dart, sorry I miss quoted as it is just a 270 2 door. Yes I am going to a lot of trouble to only race 2 or 3 times but i plan on driving it on the street as well. I fully expect to throw money into it that I wont ever get back but Im ok with that. I really like this body style and I had one back in the early 80's. I am finding out that I will probably end up going with a 360 because of header selection. Ive contacted Hooker, TTI, Hedman and Doug Thorley and no one has a header that will fit. Only choices are to piece together one if I go the 400 route! And Im not sure that would work either. Thanks for the info on the front disc brake set up. I'll keep my eyes open for the 73-75 duster or something on that line!
Rodney

-
Back