66 Dart steering column ground

-

daddanjer

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a 66 dart Automatic floor shift. My horns are not working. I have traced the problem to a lack of ground in steering column. I tested all components, i.e. Signal switch, horn ring etc. I found that if I hook a jumper wire directly to the steering shaft my horns will sound when button is pushed. If I just ground to sterring column housing they will not. Does this model dart have an internal ground in steering column? Does anyone have a exploded view of this column that may show how ground is attached. Please advise. Thank you, Ed

On my 64 service manual shows horn ground is at the horn, runs back through to turn signal switch in column (H-3 Horn relay & pin 4 in bulkhead)
On my 67 " " " " ground at horn back through (H3-18BK) to pin W at bulkhead then to pin 4 at column splice to turn switch.
On both cars everything runs off individual grounds for each function and switch distributes power for each.
However on the 67 there is a ground wire on the upper column bracket, blk wire with eye at each end mounts to bolts.
Hope this helps.
Hold the horn button to on (Screw the neighbors) and turn wheel at same time. Does the horn go on and off intermitent while turning? If so bad switch.
My $.02 worth.
Good Luck!

When I first got my car the horn only worked when you turned the wheel to a certain spot. Turned out to be the steering coupler as the shaft ground runs through the coupler to the steering box and then to the frame for ground. I had to rebuild the coupler anyway and when I did the horn has worked fine since. Don't know if this is the same for you but you may want to check the steering coupler for loose play. Remember the steering shaft grounds the horn relay and not the column cover.

Hi everyone , Thanks for info. I will check out your tips this weekend and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again

Hi everyone, well I have tested every wire and connection for horn. From wire on inner horn ring to roller on signal switch to wire coming out of column to bulkhead. Then from bulkhead to horn relay. All have continuity and all carry a current when horn button is pushed but horns will not sound. Now when I put a jumper from ground under hood to steering shaft under hood and depress button horn sounds. As soon as I lift off ground jumper horns stop. Horns will not sound if I hook ground to anything other than rotating part of steering. The very strange thing I came across as I was testing is that when horn button is pushed steering shaft has ground. I also checked coupler. It seems to be fine although without taking it apart I can't be positive that it may not be grounding properly Any further thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I thank you all for your suggestions so far.. ED

Check your ground down the steering shaft before and after the coupler or even on the coupler. Sounds like you have the same problem I had and its in the shaft to body ground. Try the same test you did before but on the steering box and on the coupler. Somewhere the jumped ground should fail.

Hi Dartnewbe, Thats a great idea. I had to walk away from this one for a minute. It does'nt happen often but this one threw me. I will try your suggestion tommorrow. Thank you so much. I will keep you updated. have a great night.

Hello, I tried suggestion by Dartnewbie and found ground below coupling near where shaft goes into gear box. Also had ground on coupling but no ground above coupling on steering shaft going into firewall. Looks like this may be issue. Thank you. I have never taken a coupling off before. My service manual does not show how to remove to fix or replace. Can anyone tell me how to or direct me to a link that would describe steps on how to do this. Thanks everyone for all of the help and advice . It looks like this may fix problem if I can get coupling off to repair. Thanks again

Hello everyone, First thing is I wish to thank everyone for the tips and suggestions on resolving the issue with the horns in our Dart. Dartnewbie thank you for your suggestion on checking ground on length of steering shaft. I placed a wire into roll pin and then attached it to small hole in steering shaft. Horns now work like new!! You were right about steering coupler. As in my previous post I can still use some info on how to change coupler. Our car is a 1966 Dart Gt with power steering. Thank you all for your help and time. Ed

The steering coupler is held to the steering box shaft via the rolled pin in the coupler and must be driven out using a punch or similar size tool. The steering column needs to be unbolted at the firewall and the dash and disconnect the wiring to the column. After that the column should pull out. If the coupler sticks on the steering box shaft you may need to persuade it with a hammer. The coupler should pull off the end of the column once the end cap is removed. Rebuilding it is fairly simple if you do not need to change the pin in the shaft. Rebuild kits are out there. Chances the spring inside the coupler is shot and not pressing the shoes against the sides making the electrical contact for the ground through the shaft. The tricky part is getting the cap back on nice and tight. If you need to replace the seal, you may have to remove the column pin. If you have to do this, get the seal for the end of the steering column and replace it too since you need to remove the shaft pin to do it anyway. Your coupler may also have a small pin in the cap that must be driven out before the cap comes off. Glad to hear you found the source of the problem.

Hi Dartnewbie, Thanks so much for info on removing coupler. I really appreciate all of your tips and time to help find problem. I again want to thank everyone for all of your help. I wish everyone a great day.

Not to sound like a hillbilly here (no offense to the hillbillys on the site)
but if I were looking for a limper for a while until I wanted to tear it all
down, I think I'd just jump a wire with a couple of hose clamps to make the
ground, then worry about it when I wanted to tackle a steering box change
or something along those lines.

For what it's worth, I had an easier time sliding the column back and
changing the shoes as opposed to removing the gear and pot off the steering
box. You only need to remove that small 1/8" pin and slide the whole
column back and all the guts came out. You need a helper to slide
the column while you guide the guts back in, but it's a pretty fast job
and no hammering on the steering box. FWIW.

Hello, funny you should suggest the jumper. Thats exactly what I have done until the repair kit comes. Thanks for info too. Have a great day!

Not to sound like a hillbilly here (no offense to the hillbillys on the site)
but if I were looking for a limper for a while until I wanted to tear it all
down, I think I'd just jump a wire with a couple of hose clamps to make the
ground, then worry about it when I wanted to tackle a steering box change
or something along those lines.

For what it's worth, I had an easier time sliding the column back and
changing the shoes as opposed to removing the gear and pot off the steering
box. You only need to remove that small 1/8" pin and slide the whole
column back and all the guts came out. You need a helper to slide
the column while you guide the guts back in, but it's a pretty fast job
and no hammering on the steering box. FWIW.
Sounds like something we'd do in my hood (hollar)...........Yall!

Intermitent ground at steering column was a common problem for all brands. Most every mfgr added a jumper somewhere. Mopars would loose horn and shift indicater lamp. Fords would loose horn and cruise control when those controls went into the steering wheel. They added their jumper over the rag joint / spicer coupling. Mopar jumper is under the column cover.

-
Back