66 Dart steering wheel removal

-

barracudadave67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm tired of hitting my head om the steering wheel, while I fit a new floor panel in my 66 Dart. So whats the trick to getting the wheel off, it doesn't have a removable center cap, it has the chrome 3 spoke ring.
I can't use my FSM cause it's locked in my sons tool box, at Milwaukee air port, and he's in Iraq.
Thanks

barracudadave67 aka Dave C.

Can you post a photo? It must have a way to remove the center cap on the steering wheel. On my 65 Newport, it is a chrome "can". You turn it 1/4 turn ccw so the spring "fingers" align with the slot, then it pulls off. I think my 65 Dart is similar. Forgot how it was on my 69 Dart, but recall the same.

Once the cap is off, you see screws that attach the horn ring, and under that the main bolt for the steering column. Of course, you'll need a steering wheel puller, but those are cheap at Harbor Freight. I once made one. The steering wheels have always pulled off easy for me.

Never used a steering wheel puller before. I just get down to the big nut, loosen it but leave it on with several threads engaged. I plant my feet up high on the floorboard, grab the wheel at 3 and 9 and rock it back and forth while pulling back. Comes off everytime.

if it is a factory style 3 spoke wheel, the center cap will twist off, if aftermarket-- it should snap in place-- once said cap is off it becomes clear how to remove ,Lawrence

Thanks for the replys guys. This wheel is the factory wheel, but it does not have a removable center cap. It's just a chrome 3 ring wheel. My Cudas have a separate center cap, this doesn't. It's a diferent wheel than the 67 and up sport wheels. Theirs a trick to it, and I just gotta find it. I'll keep trying.
Keep those cards and letters comming in.

barracudadave67 aka Dave C.

Pry the center cap off and there's 3 phillips screws underneath to get the horn ring off. Then it should expose the large wheel nut.

Well Guys I found it. With the wheel straight ahead, and right at the bottom of the s/wheel, their is a little slot in the plastic 50th anniversary emblem. A small plastic screw driver in it and the cap came out (not off), and their lo and behold are the horn wires, and the steering wheel nut. Wonders will never seace. It's not fun getting old. Something new happens everyday.

Thanks for all the input guys I really appreciate it. I kind of took a hiatus from my cars for a while, and I'm just getting back into it.

Thanks barracudadave67 aka Dave C.

-
Back