66 Dart sway bar

-
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade/replace the sway bar in my dart. I was looking at summit racing and not really sure what Im looking at. Im teaching myself everything im doing as I go so I appreciate the input.

Thanks
Andrew

Looking to upgrade/replace the sway bar in my dart. I was looking at summit racing and not really sure what Im looking at. Im teaching myself everything im doing as I go so I appreciate the input.
So it has a factory sway bar in it now?

And what will the car be used for? street and/or unpaved SJ roads? some autocross or track days/nights?

Yes factory right now looking to change it. It is going to be just a street vehicle
Then if no other changes, I'd look at:
a) stock bar with 'polygraphite' or greaseable polyurethane bushings and poly endlink bushings with heavy washers and tube. Thicker and stronger metal washers are needed with the polyurethane bushings.
or
b) Next size up that will fit. 1 1/8" is pretty common. I think anything between 1 and 1 1/8" will work reasonably well with performance oriented all season radial.
Firmfeel's stuff will fit. Firmfeel Mopar Suspension and Steering
I don't know how well the Addco bar will fit on a '66. Addco has been around for years so someone here may know.

Original early A sway bars are kind of thin -less than 3/4 in in diameter. They do provide roll control considering the stock suspension. Start upgrading the suspension with larger torsion bars, better shocks, better tires, etc then a larger sway bar will compliment the upgrades. One you might consider and that I will be using on my 65 Dart wagon is the Helwig 1 & 1/8 hollow sway bar.

Last edited:
I recently installed the Hellwig 1 1/8 bar #5906 from Summit, on my sons Dart. It feels better that the stock bar. I'm happy with the upgrade.

Mike Martin & the Rally Bulleyin list the early sway bar as 0.82" diameter. p/n 2071 652
At one time Mopar Performance sold a .88" bar for the early-A, p4286695. But finding that one now will just be lucky. It might have just been something made by Addco or similar or they might have designed their own. I've not seen one in person.

I recently installed the Hellwig 1 1/8 bar #5906 from Summit, on my sons Dart. It feels better that the stock bar. I'm happy with the upgrade.
What year Dart?

I've used the Firm Feel sway bar on a few early a-bodies. Super easy to install with high quality hardware and brackets.

Since they make them in-house, they probably can make any diameter they have the round stock for.

-
Back