66 Dart Wagon V8 Swap

-

IneedMOparts

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have a 66 Dart Wagon that i am going to swap to 318 LA, It is original /6 3 on the tree car. My question is, Can i use the 3 speed with 318? And if so what bell housing etc.. will be needed.

Thanks,
John

you'll need a early a body v8 three speed bell housing..early a manifolds, motor mounts,radiator for v 8 and a drop center link for the steering or shim the motor mounts to get clearance.....late model heads will have an interferance problem if they have the provision for the smog ports,double gaskets and a small amount of grondin to the head on the drivers side and a lil' bit on the manifold and I stress the word "Li'l bit" other than that it's a breeze.......Wagg's u might need a diffrent gas pedal assembly

you'll need a early a body v8 three speed bell housing..early a manifolds, motor mounts,radiator for v 8 and a drop center link for the steering or shim the motor mounts to get clearance.....late model heads will have an interferance problem if they have the provision for the smog ports,double gaskets and a small amount of grondin to the head on the drivers side and a lil' bit on the manifold and I stress the word "Li'l bit" other than that it's a breeze.......Wagg's u might need a diffrent gas pedal assembly

What Flywheel would i use?

Thanks Waggin!! If anybody has one of those early A V8 3 Speed Bell housings, Let me know!

Thanks
I have one of those bellhousings if you can't find one closer. I'm not sure I have a flywheel or any of the dust covers however. If you have the 903 trans, I wouldn't use it. They are pretty weak and a slant 6 will break one so you'd just be on borrowed time with a V8. If you have a 745 or can get one, that would be a better choice.

yur slant flywheel I believe is the same as 273 but I could be wrong....mine has that Lil' itty bitty thing in it ....not good for burnouts or good launches but if ya roll out then plant it ...................she's gone....................................not enough clutch to break a 7 1/4 :)
What Flywheel would i use?

Different bolt pattern on a slant 6. You can use the same clutch or if you want to upgrade, get one for a '70's Van slant 6. It's 10 1/4" in diameter instead of the stock 9 1/2". You have to get some Allen head bolts to hold it on the flywheel but other than that it's a bolt-on.

-
Back