'66 formula S Barracuda

-

RPM

Superior Member
Reaction score
yep.
I found one for sale that I am in love with
1966 Formula S Barracuda, 4 speed, '69 340 (original 273 goes with car),
nice fire engine red paint, rechromed bumpers and trim, original upholstry in tact, but needs redone, new carpet comes with it, runs and drives great!

He is asking $11,500.00 for the car. Which he says in below book value on it.
I dont know? is it?

He would consider partial trades for a Duster. If he liked mine, could I let go of my 18 year project? Could I let go of my first car? ....The Barracuda will always be worth more than mine......any suggestions or ideas? I would take a huge hit on my car money wise....but I already know that what I put into mine I will not get back out of it.....

.....and the car is local to me to! ahhhh!

-RPM

That price is a little high for an early a-body, even a four speed Formula S, especially if it's not perfect. I'd put the value closer to $6-7k.

Don't trade the Duster........please! I also agree that the price is kinda high.

ok all,thanks for the input. Helps in decision making...i think.

-RPM

Let me add this then. Given the choice between a 66 Formula S and a Duster (even a 340 car), I'd choose the 66 all day, any day (but then I used to own one, never had a Duster or came close to having one). You just need to understand that the value will always lag behind the 67-69 cars.

RPM,
As the guy that used to own that car,let me tell you if you haven't seen it, it is well worth what he wants for it.That car had 77,000 original miles on it when I sold it 2 yrs ago.Its not only a factory 4 speed Formula S,but it's also a factory disc brake car.The chrome alone was almost $4,000.All the lenses are brand new.The suspension was all redone also.Selling that car was the worst thing that has happened to me in years.I only got 7 for it,but I had to sell it.I wish I could buy it back.Feel free to e mail me any quetions you have about the car.I owned it since 1998.It sat for 18 yrs before I got it.
Don

My first car was a 66 Barracuda V8 not a S model and I still have it. Thing I like about these cars 64-66 is when yo go to a Mopar event or any event you see less than a hand full of them in a sea of 67 up Darts and Dusters. The things I hate is parts are a pain in the a$$ to find, if they even make them and they are expensive.

That being said RPM I think you should stay the course on your current project. I'm not sure a 66 Barracuda is an easy car to sell and the price may be a little on the high side for any A body. But I haven't seen it :salut:

As the owner of a '65 Formula S Barracuda, I would say the price is high. I've been following '65/'66 Barracuda prices for 5-6 years and I've seen them rising lately, but only a handful of cars have achieved that price, and they were/are perfect show queens. There are not many show queen early Barracudas, that's for sure.

I've spent all winter helping my friend with his 1973 Dart Sport and I have to say, I appreciate my '65 Barracuda a lot more now. It's put together better than the Dart....it's got more chrome, simpler designs, it's just a more solid car. I think by 1973 they were getting pretty sloppy.

Just my opinion. Life's short, get what you want and enjoy the heck out of it! Sentimental is important, but not if you're not enjoying it.

As a new owner of a 66 Barracuda (big) project car, I'd say keep the current one and get the Barracuda... :love4:

My 2 cents, Price does seem a bit out of line but it really all depends if the car was built the way "YOU" would have wanted it. Hard to build a "NICE" car for $11,500 these days. I am a huge Barracuda fan but not of the 66 and down years. They are nice and I wont knock them, they just do not seem to have any pizazzzz or apeal to me. I admit they are nice to look at and have my full respect. They are just not a car I would want to own. Sorry to the guys that own them. Not busting on you or your cars, this is just my opinion and we each have our own. Thats what makes the world go around. I am also not a Duster fan but if I had to decide between a Duster or a 66 Barracuda.......The Duster will win! Good luck in your decision. I think you know where your going....

simple answer...... Have both cars no big loss on yours !!!! I got 5 cars and still willing to buy more

That price is a little high for an early a-body, even a four speed Formula S, especially if it's not perfect. I'd put the value closer to $6-7k.

i will agree. ive had my 66 5 years now.parts are getting easier to find but no cheaper. by the time i get done i will have 10-12k into it but i doubt that ill ever get that much out if i decided to sell. but........the demand is going up as the prices of the more "desireable" mopars get out of reach.

I think the price is high for any '66 Barracuda. Although this does sound like the one to get due to the condition but there is vey little interest in these cars and few people are willing to spend over $8,000 for one, even for a really nice one. I would also like to find a '66 Formula S with a 4-speed becasue they are nice handling cars and are very affordable.

I think if you wait a few months you might be able to negotiate a fair value for this Formula S and hold onto your Duster.

You'll end up spending that much anyways in the end. Pay now or pay later depending on how much restoration you are willing to do. For under $10K you would be getting a fair price in my opinion. You can't even come close to building a car like that for less these days. Unless you can do all the work yourself and have lots of luck out bidding everyone on ebag for hard to find parts. Especially a complete car with all the trim, glass, lenses, bumpers, paint and body work finished, etc and it is in excellent shape. Trust me these little a-bodies are going up in price and will continue to go up. This was the top-of-the-line Barracuda and is more valuable with the factory 4spd and discs. Get them while they are still somewhat cheap. You will enjoy the heck out of this car. I would love to have it myself. I'm partial to the 66 year.

With that said I'd still finish your project. You will kick yourself for abandoning a project that you have put so much history into.

Real dilemma. Really comes down to a couple of things.

Your personal feelings towards the cars

1) Your level of attachment to your 74
2) Which would you rather be driving?

If you're looking at it in terms of monetary value

1) I'm not sure of your factory engine combo, but I think a 66 Formula S w/# matching 4-speed/engine is rarer than a 74 Duster (unless possibly it's a factory 360)
2) There is probably more mass appeal to a Duster than the first gen Barracuda if you are looking to sell in the future, so the Duster would probably sell FASTER if you needed the cash, but for not as much, since it's price will always lag behind 70, 71, 72 340, then 73 340, then 74 360 cars.

Of course since you've had your Duster for 18 years, you probably are not looking to sell your main ride any time, so quite simply - which do you want to drive?

I dont think the price is unreasonable for a nice example of ANY Barracuda, and being the creme de la creme of the year, and having a former owner ready to talk with you... I'd definitely consider it :)

Grant

It's all in your mind. I would like to have one of each.

My 66 Barracuda is a very rare car in my area. I love it, but at the same time I wouldn't mind up-grading to a Duster because of it being a new car, and easier to find parts, but then again, Dusters are a dime a dozen, and the value of a used Duster isn't much better than that of the Cuda.

I have a $4500 paint job on my car, and a $3500 engine. Add a few more hundred for wheels and tires, and you're already at $11,000.00.....

If I could sell my car for what I have in it right now, I'd sell it today. My Dad used to tell me: "Cars are like women. There's one on every street corner."

Just my opinion, but if you can get, or build a really nice car for less than $20,000.00, you'd better do it.

-
Back