66' Formula S barracuda

-

SwinginACR

Reaction score
66 Barracuda, its my dads, he bought it back in the early 90's the guy told him it was a forumula s. It has a high compresion 273 in it and it was a factory 4 speed console car and has the gauge cluster w/tach and 150 Speedo. The motor didnt run and it had an auto with a 7 1/4 rear. My question is how can I determin if the car is a real deal Formula S? Ive run the VIN on a few sites and it comes up as either a 273/2 car or a 273/4(obviously has this engine). My problem is that the car dosnt have a fender tag, and the car was in a front end collision and parts were replaced. The inner fenders werent damaged but for some reason the tag is gone. Now for the big question? I have someone possibly interested in the car and since its sat for the last umpteen years Im gonna recomend he sells it. I would like to get the best money out of the car I can. It was a dark blue car, and the body is straight as an arrow aside from some small damage next to the drivers taillight. It has rust on over both rear wheels but only the drivers would need any metal replacement, theres surface rust on the roof but no pitting and it needs a passenger front floor pan. And a front windsheild, my brothers friend threw a golf club at it it busted a hole in it. Has no front seats. So what might be a good asking price?

Does it have dual piston front disc brakes? If so we may go through the other options that they had but that is one factor people forget when they clone one. As far as the value you need to determine if its a S or not.

Well if this is true than the car is not a formula s, it has drums up front. No matter the guy called while I was at work and said he wasnt interested. The guy told my dad "Its not a Formula S, because its a 66' and they didnt make S's until 67'. And that it wouldnt be a small block it would have a 383". I told my dad the guy had no idea what he was talking about. So anyway the car will sit until I decide to do something with it because my dad sure wont.

Does it have dual piston front disc brakes? If so we may go through the other options that they had but that is one factor people forget when they clone one. As far as the value you need to determine if its a S or not.

Did not have dick brakes in 66 or did they:clock:

I have seen a real factory 1966 Formula S with drums. The build sheet made no mention of front disks being included in the performance and handling suspension package. I know that in 66 disk brakes were an $82 option. Back then $82 was probably equal to about $1000 today so I would think that it would depend on what it was ordered with either by the buyer or dealer if it was to be a lot car. But Im no expert, just thought Id share what my past experiences have shown me.

Well then I may have something worth hangin on to. What about the rearend, Im pretty sure it has a 7 1/4 and Ive been doing a little reading. I read that before 66 a 7 1/4 would have been all they put behind it but in 66 due to alot of warranty work they went to an 8 1/4. So would it still be posible for it to be an S? I mean how many barracudas had a hipo 273 and a 150 speedo?

Since you dont have a fender tag check for an original build sheet under the rear bench seat (if its there be VERY careful because they are generally very brittle). It may also be under the dash possibly taped to the glove box.

Well if this is true than the car is not a formula s, it has drums up front. No matter the guy called while I was at work and said he wasnt interested. The guy told my dad "Its not a Formula S, because its a 66' and they didnt make them until 67'. And that it wouldnt be a small block it would have a 383". I told my dad the guy had no idea what he was talking about. So anyway the will sit until I decide to do something with because my dad sure wont.
From what I could find, discs were mandatory for BB cars, not on SB cars, but were an option. Was the whole front end replaced? Sometimes people bondo over emblem holes.

Ya I know all about them build sheets, I have the remainging half for my dart and a complete but in three brittle pieces sheet for my shelby shadow. The fenders hood and grille seem to be the only things replaced. I say that but im not 100% I pulled the little certicard holder thing off and their is still the original blue paint under it so I think the inner fenders are original. Ill have to pull the rear seat to look for a buld sheet.

7 1/4 rear was standard in 66, 8 3/4 was the only option in A bodies. 10" drums were also standard, with discs as an option. If you can measure the torsion bars they should be .870, the formula S cars got the heavy duty torsion bars. With the 150 speedo and the tach I would guess that it is a formula S car, but can you include the VIN. I may not be correct on this, but I believe that the Formula S cars would have an E for the fifth digit, indicating a 4 barrel 273, D for a 2 barrel. Incidentally, the Formula S option was introduced on the 65 Cudas. You can tell the potential buyer to check his facts as the 383 wasn't available in a Cuda until 68, or better yet, tell him to buy a chevy, he is not worthy of your 66 anyway. I'd like to see some pictures of it, but it sounds like a $1200 to $1500 car as it sits. If it was mine I would be keeping it and redoing it, they are fun little cars and get a lot of positive reaction. You just don't see them much. Good luck with the car, Geof

Well, if or when you do decide to sell it and come up with a price please send me a PM because I love my 66 Cuda so much Id love to have another :-D

I'd be interested in your car if and when you are considering selling it but you should probably keep it and enjoy it a bit first.

I am not an expert but it sounds like you have most of the important Formula S stuff like the speedo and tach. The Formula S is NOT in the VIN. As stated drums brakes were standard but it should have a sway bar on the front and you can also look for the spare tire cut-out on the hinged load floor for the trunk.

The Early Valiant Barracuda web site has some great info for these early Formula S cars ==> http://www.earlyabodyforum.com/board/messages/394/2207.html?1165590450

I hope nobody minds that I copied the info below from them:

Formula S Features:
·235 hp Commando 273 V-8 Engine
· Carter aluminum 4-barrel
· 10.5:1 compression dome-top pistons
· high lift, high-overlap cam
· dual breaker points
· solid lifters
· special intake with unsilenced chrome air cleaner
· black crinkle Hemi style valve covers with aluminum fins
· chrome Hemi style PCV valve
· Hemi style ignition wire grommets
·Rallye Suspension Package
· 16:1 fast ratio steering box
· 5 leaf rear springs
· over-size front torsion bars (.87”)
· front anti-sway bar (13/16”)
· firm ride shock absorbers

· Tachometer
· 10” drum brakes
· 6.95 x 14" Special Blue Streak tires
· Heavy Gauge Wide-Rim 5.5" x 14" Wheels
· 14" Bolt-On Design Wheel Covers
· 2” chrome lug nuts
· Formula S Badges
· 2 ¼” Low pressure exhaust with chrome tipped resonator

Barracuda options:
· 8 ¾” Sure-Grip 3.23:1 differential
· front disc brakes
· automatic transmission
· power steering, power brakes
· safety padding
· front seat belts
· rear seat belts (1966)
· back-up lights
· variable speed wipers and washer
· AM radio w/antenna
· true-round 16” wood grain steering wheel
· racing stripes
· day/night rearview mirror
· side mirror, remote side mirror
· tinted glass all around
· air conditioning
· vinyl roof (1966)

7 1/4 rear was standard in 66, 8 3/4 was the only option in A bodies. 10" drums were also standard, with discs as an option. If you can measure the torsion bars they should be .870, the formula S cars got the heavy duty torsion bars. With the 150 speedo and the tach I would guess that it is a formula S car, but can you include the VIN. I may not be correct on this, but I believe that the Formula S cars would have an E for the fifth digit, indicating a 4 barrel 273, D for a 2 barrel. Incidentally, the Formula S option was introduced on the 65 Cudas. You can tell the potential buyer to check his facts as the 383 wasn't available in a Cuda until 68, or better yet, tell him to buy a chevy, he is not worthy of your 66 anyway. I'd like to see some pictures of it, but it sounds like a $1200 to $1500 car as it sits. If it was mine I would be keeping it and redoing it, they are fun little cars and get a lot of positive reaction. You just don't see them much. Good luck with the car, Geof
My understanding was the fifth digit was the engine code and nothing in the VIN denoted Formula S.
The 383 was available starting with the 67s and you could get a tach or a Performance Indicator.

Well, I may very well have something good and unless someone were to be local and walk up with cash it will probly continue to stay in the family. It wouldnt take a lot to make it a nice little car and my dad has always wanted to see it back on the street. I think I like it just enough to want to keep it myself, with the right setup I think the early A's look pretty slick.

This is the only picture I could find of the car, its an old shot and the car looks horrible in the shot but up close its in great shape and its all there. The body is as straight as they come.
barracuda.jpg

The facts about the VIN not showing the Formula S option is correct, and the fifth digit is the engine code. I was not eluding to the fact that the Vin was going to decode the car as a Formula S, what I was trying to say was that you can verify the engine to be a 4 barrel or 2 barrel by the fifth digit, either a D for 2 barrel or E for 4 barrel. This information combined with the presence of a tach and 150 speedo would lean my opinion towards the Formula S over a regular Cuda. And yes, Matthon, the 383 was available in 67. My bad, sorry for the mis-info. Heres a picture of my 66 non Formula S Cuda getting ready to put the hurt on my brothers Challenger at the Nats last year, just for inspiration purposes. It has the commando engine, 8 3/4 3:55 rear, and disc brakes. Took 10 years to get it looking like this, so don't hurry, and enjoy that 66. Geof

moparnats 014.jpg

Geof, absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! Color looks familiar :-D Thanks for posting the pic!!

Boy it looks great in blue.

This is what I found as far as 66 the 2 and 4 bbl motors had a D.

A=170 1bbl slant-6
B=225 1bbl slant-6
C=special order slant-6
D=273 2bbl V8 (180hp)
D=273 4bbl V8 (235 or 275hp) (67)

I have a 66 Barracuda that came with a Commando 273, a column shifted auto.,7 1/4, 150 speedo, tach, 13" wheels, wood grain steering wheel, and no sway bar. The VIN # is BP29D6****. It came with Commando V8 emblems on the front fenders instead of regular VEight emblems. I bought it from the second owner, she bought it in 1967. There was no "E" engine code in 1966, the "D" covered both 273's. In my opinion, if you have no fender tag or build sheet there would be no way to determine if your Dad's Barracuda was a factory Formula "S" or Commando 273.

Yep, you guys are right. I looked in Galens 66 option code book and it lists only one code for both 273's and it is coded D, the big 318 A block was coded E. I still lean towards this car being a formula S as it doesn't look to be pieced together. It would take a lot of foresight to change the cluster, engine and any other items to make it into an S clone back when this car was ripping up the roads. But, you never know. Lets see this car come back to life in swingin's hands, man I would love to see that.

-
Back