66 Formula S Emblems

-
You've already mentioned yours have no pentastars, I'm asking @65 Dartman about his. I'm guessing, but I would think there would be pentastars on them? I've seen other emblems that have the pentastar.

Good Morning Guys! I very carefully look at the one in the first picture with a magnifying glass and could not find anything resembling a Pentastar. If you look at the very bottom above the part numbers there is some letters, i tried to take a pic of them through the magnifying glass. You’ll have to enlarge the pic to really see it but it shows a “1” and below that the letters “PMC”. I’ve no idea what it means - the designer of the emblen? - who knows!

Even the other numbers and letters are on the re-pop's just not as defined as the NOS ones, and Steve there is no Pentastar logo's on any of them even the old original Formula S emblems that I took off of my 68 do not have Pentastar logo's on them. Also I moved the NOS ones around in the bags to get a better look at the S and they are shiny and do look like chrome not brushed, it was just the old plastic that made them look that way. Look at 65 Dartman's 2nd picture and look at how defined the numbers are, the re-pop's are not as clear.

I took another look at the face of the emblem and the “S” is definitely chrome with the area around the perimeter where the “FORMULA” is definitely brushed.

Rick @ Layson’s told me that over time originals tend to start pitting whereas the repops (at least theirs) do not. I couldn’t see any signs of any pitting while in the bags but out of the bag, i could see extremely small pits in the “S”, especially undef the magnifying glass FWIW It would be interesting if 66 Cuda’s were the same way. I understand his reluctance to open the bag to find out.

3A1FBF66-BC70-45A7-AF27-23E8FAD8C83B.jpeg

Last edited:
I took as good of a look as I can at my NOS emblems and I see no pitting in the S at all, the original ones that I removed from my 68 are pitted. If you look at the pictures you will see the difference in the NOS and the re-pop's as far a shininess on the front and back sides. This could be because of the NOS emblems being in the older plastic bags but I do not believe so.

IMG_3708.JPG

IMG_3709.JPG

IMG_3710.JPG

IMG_3711.JPG

IMG_3712.JPG

IMG_3713.JPG

IMG_3714.JPG

Just an observation......

I'll bet a dime to a hole in a donut that plastic packaging ain't as old as those emblems are. 1966 emblem packaging would not be in plastic bags, it would have been in heavy brown paper....those have at some time in the past be re-packaged.

Chrysler had repops twenty years ago, give or take. I've got a pair that have not yet been used in my desk. I've also got some used around here, as well. The new pair will be going on my Barracuda (not a real "S", but has had the emblems since I first saw the car around 1983.

I have a question. hopefully not hijacking this thread. how much disrespect would it be to try to fit the 443 vertical pin emblems to where a 442 horizontal pin emblem should be?
one of my fenders isn't drilled the other has both vertical and horizontal holes. would it be too bad to do this?

Several members have queried me by PM asking if these were for sale. Yes, they will be sometime later this afternoon or early evening after I write the For Sale ad.

By chance it is Ulf. We’ve been corresponding back and forth since 1984! We’ve met once at Carlisle and twice at the Nationals in OH. We were supposed to go visit him on the trip we just finished but we agreed it wouldn’t be a good time as his wife has health issues.

I hope all the best for her. I've spoke with him and he's been helping me tremendously on a Dart Charger 273 (project) that's on his list that I couldn't pass up. He's a great guy.
I'll keep them in my prayers.
I hope you had a great trip. That hopefully was awesome.

Pulled out my Mopar genuine repops just now. A couple of things stand out.
1. Made in U.S.A.
2. Outer ring is brushed, but much shinier than the used 443 I have with them.
3. Numbers cast on the back are identical to the original 443 (No pentastar, has part #, and has the DCPD cast).
4. Manufacture date on the package (plastic bag, sealed) is 11/00.

I should still have some other "S" emblems, but I'm not positive where they are at this time.

-
Back