'66 Formula S Torsion Bars

-

clifftt

Reaction score
The factory bars I pulled out measure .890" diameter. I'll be putting the front suspension back together soon and wouldn't mind upgrading. This is a street car with stock exhaust, and car is a four speed. I've read many of the older threads but don't see anyone who has upgraded the bars on a '65-66 Formula S. Is it worth it? Will I feel any difference? I hate to throw money away on thicker bars if it doesn't accomplish anything.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has replaced their Formula S bars and what were the results. Thanks to all who reply!

We have 1" replacement bars for our 71 valiant, but haven't gotten it all back together yet. I've read many threads where the people are happy with the improvement with the 1.000" or 1.040" bars and they are not too stiff.

Remember torsion bars act like springs. All springs fatigue with age and use. They will eventually fatigue to the point that they will break/crack. I do not recommend using "old/used" bars (especially when these are getting to be 50 years old). Replace them with fresh ones.

Yea, 47 years old .... Good point. I also wonder how the metallurgy compares with the old bars, as in the amount they flex -- different types of steel are more flexible than others, ...

If they're original they are NOT .890", they are .870". Bigger is better...

What is the difference between a formula s and non formula s suspensions? I thought the big difference was a sway bar, springs, and shocks. And they are probably still using pretty much the same spring steel (5350?) that they used back in the day.

At this point any original spring/shock is going to tired. I had .920 bars in my 65 valiant and it rode good stiff but not hard. I wouldn't hesitate to use 1.0 bars if you plan on any sporty style driving.

All springs are designed for x number of cycles, usually 1 million. This assumes they are not loaded beyond the elastic limit. Above the yield point they will set and not return to the original shape. A torsion bar will not normally crack unless struck, notched or other discontinuity because it the range of motion is more limited than a typical leaf set up, and it doesn't have the stress risers than can exist on coils (near the ends). The rate on a million cycled t-bar is the very close to new. If the front is sitting a little lower, just turn the adjuster in.

That said, most people who like a sporty car will prefer a larger t-bar than factory offerings. It will reduce body roll and that will keep a better contact patch when cornering. The other approach is to use a larger front sway bar, or do both. Either of these increases the load on the outer tire during cornering, so the improvements felt are eventually limited by the outer tire getting overloaded.

Formula S cars came with better rear leafs than the rest of the a-body line. Unfortunately, leafs springs are all too easily pushed past their yield point due to shape and design. If the car hasn't been towing stuff, used to carry bags of cement, or run at the dragstrip, the leafs could be worth rebuilding. Interleafs, clamps, pin, bushings are nothing special, go ahead and replace those. It's the main leaf and to some degree the second leaf that are most critical to making the Forumula S (& later also the 383 equiped a-bodies) rear leaf packs better.

Formula S shocks were advertised as being different, IIRC 'heavy duty' was the term. But I haven't check the part books to see if they were different p/n than came on a 'heavy duty' optioned car. (even then, I'm sure concurs restoration people would have more info for what was actually used in the assembly line)

-
Back