66 Valiant 100 parts swap?

-

Moparjake

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im finally back into the old school MOPAR fold after a long hiatus. I recently picked up a '66 Valiant. After getting it home and pulling the seats and carpet for some clean up i discovered some healthy rot under the passenger side rear floor board and some holes in the trunk. Nothing really into the frame supports...mostly in the pan. I was wondering with this being an older A-body, what type of floor pans and trunk pans will work for the repair. Are there certain year A-bodies i can look at for pans?

Also, many moons ago i had a 71 dart with 4-wheel drums that i ended up swapping over to a power front disk set-up from another A-body (found in junk yard) Ended up using the upper and lower control arms along witht he K-member, ect. Im sure this is fairly common. What years are compatible to my '66 for this type of swap?

Thanks for the help. Awesome site BTW!!!

-Jake

Welcome to FABO :cheers: Got any pics of the Valiant?

Yes, the early 63-66 A-body cars have a different floor pan. How much different? I don't really know. I got my driver side front one replaced, got it from Autobody Specialties, they have all the floor pans, not sure on the trunk though. Also have some fender patch panels.

For the brakes did you convert to the big bolt pattern 73-76 discs or the small bolt pattern 65-71 ones with the 4-piston caliper? I used a disc set-up from a 73 Duster, the upper arms, spindles, and calipers were all swapped over, didn't have to change the lower, it was the same. There is also a company called Scarebird that makes affordable disc conversion kits that use your stock drum spindles and newer parts and still run the SBP wheel. Several member here have used them, my uncle also used them on his 71 Dart and work great.

As far as the k-frame on an early-A go they are ALL the same, slant six or 273, only the motor mounts were different. The 67-up are bigger and would require mods to make it fit, probably not worth it.

Hope this helps!

Welcome to our humble home!! I do believe that someone is now reproducing the early A floor pans, possibly AMD. As for the later 67-72 pans, yes they will work but they need to be sized to fit. "Many moons ago" when I was redoing the blue 66 in my avatar, no one was reproducing anything for the early A's and the only floorpans available were the 67 and up, so thats what I had to use. Good thing my buddy who did the installation was a top notch fabricator and was able to put them in with no problems.

Seek out the correct pans, you'll be happy you did!! Geof

Thanks for the help!!! I did end up with the larger bolt pattern on my last dart...was funny because i still had the little bolt pattern on the drums in the rear and i had to carry two spares. Ill post up some pics tomorrow when i go over to work on the car.

This little valiant may end up taking some money from my 07 charger beast.

-Jake

swap a 8.25 into the rear for 4.5 BC pattern. Bolt in and strong enough.

Hey guys.

I've got a 65 170 V8 Dart that I want to convert to front discs. from what you've offered above it looks like I can use the parts from a 73-76 as a direct swap that will introduce the larger 4.5 bolt pattern? can you please confirm? I'll probably use the diff out of the same car too. Will all this bolt in if I grab all the right parts from the donor car? and Please what parts will I need to grab?
Thanks for the help!!

Upper control arms, spindles, rotors, calipers, master, combo valve that splits the front and rear brake lines located directly below the master cylinder along the frame from donor car. Rear axle if a 7 1/4 will bolt right in,if a 8 1/4 you will have to shorten the drive shaft. i'm sure if I forgot something others will chime in.

-
Back