66 valiant rear door latch

-

moparkrazed

Moparkrazed
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just inherited my uncles car. He was working on the car off and on before he passed away last month. I noticed the rear door won’t stay closed. Something is up with the latch, the door will close but u can open the door again without pushing the door handle button. I got into the door and noticed the mechanism on the door latch is being pushed in but not returning to lock the door closed. Is there supposed to be a spring that makes it return or is it just worn out? I’m going back to pick up the parts car he had ( or the back half he didn’t cut in two) that includes rear doors. I should have parts to fix the issue but I’d like to learn why the door latch isn’t working so I can know in the future.

Maybe a photo of your latch might help. Might be a lubrication problem or a broken latch. The latch should be the same from '64-6 model 4 doors.

Maybe a photo of your latch might help. Might be a lubrication problem or a broken latch. The latch should be the same from '64-6 model 4 doors.
Thanks for the help cudamark. I’ll be getting the back half of another 66 so I’ll be able to use parts off that. I tried to get in there for a photo but couldn’t get a good photo. When I take the latch out I’ll grab some pics and update. Really getting to know the 64-66 cars and all the ins and outs. It’s definitely been an educational experience haha but enjoy all the learning.

I just fixed this same problem on my newly acquired 64 wagon. There was a lever that got stuck. A few wacks with a screwdriver and hammer and it freed up. Used lots of PB blaster over the past day and a half. Here are some pictures of the latch. You can just see the lever above the star wheel that needs to be freed up.
IMG_20210223_180846482.jpg
IMG_20210223_180834243.jpg

I just fixed this same problem on my newly acquired 64 wagon. There was a lever that got stuck. A few wacks with a screwdriver and hammer and it freed up. Used lots of PB blaster over the past day and a half. Here are some pictures of the latch. You can just see the lever above the star wheel that needs to be freed up.View attachment 1715696347 View attachment 1715696348
Thanks for posting this. I’ll have to give that a shot. I still haven’t had a chance to get the parts car here so I hanger messed with the latch yet. I’ll have to get in there in the next day or two and play around with it. Thanks for the post and the pics! :)

-
Back