'66 Valiant Signet ride height..?

-

pigman

Reaction score
The guy who's going to do my alignment asked if there is a ride height measurement pertaining to this specific model.
Some measurement we can start with. who knows how many times someone screwed around with the T-bars.

What to all you experts think..? ..pig man

Yes, there is a factory spec for ride height. I don't have it on me, but it also requires using the factory measurement method. Really what it comes down to usually is: set one side for the stance you like, measure, and adjust opposite side to match.

There are factory service manuals available for download on FABO that outline the ride height measurement procedure. Everyone should have some version of the FSM(factory service manual).

Pigman, Your alignment guy knows what he's doing, which is a good thing.
Chilton's (1970) Factory spec for a '66 or '67 Valiant ride height is 2" plus or minus 1/8"
but my '67 Plymouth Shop book says 2 1/8" plus minus 1/8", so Chilton's could be wrong on the '66 hieght too. Either 2" or 2 1/8 is in spec, so you culd give him that as the range.

In the middle of the the thread Poisondart linked to are pictures showing where to measure from.

Factory caster should be 3/4 deg positive (1/4 to 1 1/4 acceptable but make both sides the same) If you are running radial tires and power steering, the maximum caster is generally better for cornering grip. Even with Manual steering 1 1/4 isn't going to be that much harder to drive, although for the record, the factory recommended 1 degree negative to 0 degrees caster on manual steering cars.

Factory camber was 1/2 degree positive left side, 1/4 degree positive right side. This difference was because of the high crown on most roads. Feel free to make them the same, and even to go 1/4 degree negative especially if using radial tires and you want a little more initial bite on turn in.

Factory Toe was 1/8" in, plus minus 1/32"

-
Back