66 vs 67 Dart

-

Lemon aid

Reaction score
When shopping for headers, and other parts, for my 66 Dart, I notice the parts are listed for 67 up and 66 and down.
Anyone know what the difference is between a 66 and 67 when it comes to headers (V8)?

There is a HUGE difference. 66-down is considered a narrow body, much less room in the engine compartment, biggest engine was a 273. 67-up had up to a 426 Hemi that could fit in the engine compartment. Also the room for the steering sector and torsion bars are less in a narrow body, so headers are specific between the two body styles...

Well, that is discouraging.I just bought 5.9 magnum to go it it.
Pretty sure Dougs makes a drop-in header for a small block in an early A. Probably other options out there too. You could always go with manifolds too. It doesn't take a lot to get these little cars moving.

Yeah. A lot. They're listed incorrectly if that's how they're listed. Should be 66 and prior and 67 and forward.

Well, that is discouraging.I just bought 5.9 magnum to go it it.
As mentioned, Dougs makes some. Also Layson's sells what used to be the old Spitfire headers.

Are A Bodies frame rails the same width? I have been searching and cant find an answer. seems A body darts are about the same width.

Are A Bodies frame rails the same width? I have been searching and cant find an answer. seems A body darts are about the same width.
No. 63-66 are about 3" narrower in the front as the 67 and up.

I am seeing only 1/4 inch difference in frame rail widths, that's not much for headers. thats an 1/8 inch on each side!

Thanks Rusty. I have a buddy with a 68 dart, I'll get him to come by and do some checks between his and mine.
Oh wait, that sounds kinky! Didn't mean it that way :)

Thanks Rusty. I have a buddy with a 68 dart, I'll get him to come by and do some checks between his and mine.
Oh wait, that sounds kinky! Didn't mean it that way :)

No offence, but you ask, and several people tell you, but now You still have to check and measure between a 66 and 68 ‘to make sure’. Why bother asking to begin with? Many people here have and share a lot of knowledge but it feels like a waste of time when it doesn’t really get used.

Early a bodies are narrower. Period. You CAN put your magnum in it, it will fit. you need stock 273 exhaust manifolds OR as Rusty and Mopowers Both said you can use headers made by Doug’s, Spitfire, or Laysons if he makes his own, if Laysons doesn’t he will be a dealer for each of the other brands. If you act NOW I actually think there is a set for sale in the classified’s of this forum right NOW. Have a look.

Make sure you use the right motor mounts for the 66 with a v-8 application. You will also need to make sure you have a v-8 Centerline.

I find early A-bodies harder to work on and part finding is also more difficult, so perhaps really do listen the folks who have been working on them for along time now. It will save you time and money

Good luck with your project!

It is all good information and will be used for my build. Only reason to compare 66 to a 69 is to get the actual dimensions, not to waste anyone's time.
Thank You to everyone for your time and valuable info!

It is all good information and will be used for my build. Only reason to compare 66 to a 69 is to get the actual dimensions, not to waste anyone's time.
I bought a 67' K-member for my 66" Dart in High school(85') on someone's recommendation and it was about a 1/4' to wide, the bolt holes didn't line up, became $75 anchor. Turns out all I needed was V8 motor mount towers and V8 motor mounts and a V8 center link. I'm thinking of removing my Doug's D450 headers and going back to stock manifolds.

I took all of those measurements about 6yrs ago, the frame rails/shock towers/torsion bars/lower arms/steering gear are all pulled in ~1.25" per side, PLUS the engines are mounted ~1.75-1.875" farther forward on the early-A's....this leads to heavy contact with the steering linkage. I managed to put the 6-1 Mopar Slanty header('67 & up only) into My '64 GT, but I heated & worked the S*^T out of it, like in&out 12× and torch/hammer/fold/welding. It's in there, but it ain't pretty, I will cut out & fix what is needed now that it's established.
Don't d*@k around, buy what fits to begin with.

-
Back