67/68/69 cuda dilemma

-
I'm floored. I think i've never seen such a complicated task being made to adjust parts. It's art ! Congratulations. Such a level of skills.

Thanks. II am hoping my build thread can inspire others to see that a lot of these things are really never too far gone that they cannot be fixed. Plus for some that do their own metal work, buying $700 a side AMD fastback skins, and cutting the tops off for a coupe or a vert is just insane when the Goodmark (badmark lol) skins are a whole lot cheaper. The trade off is that you have to make it all fit. I hope I am blazing a trail so the rest of the barracuda guys doing this will know what to expect.

The metal work starts on or around page 17. Please read through the rest of my build thread. Theres a lot more custom fabrication and modification being done to this car including custom fabrication of everything to install a 42RH overdrive transmission out of a Dodge Dakota pickup and have it NOT look like a science project. That starts on page 26.

Last edited:
You definitely took it to the next level compared to what I did when I installed the goodmark panels

great work as always :thumbsup:
it's a shame that so much work is needed though to fit what is supposed to be a 'correct' part :(
neil.
Thanks Neil, but I think these were made to be hack job fix panels. The front and rear lips actually overlapped the stock skins. Because of the oversize, I think these were made to just pop rivet over top of a rusted panel. This is why I kept the original top, front, and rear of the original skins and flanged them. Then cut the goodmark panels back. I am lucky it fits well in most of the key areas. If all I have to do is deal with some non stock seams, and move a couple wheel house lips, well oh well lol.

The AMD skins are fastback only. They fit really well in all areas but at $700 per side plus about $200 truck freight, and I would have to still cut the tops off and make a non stock seam to fit a coupe anyways, I just couldent justify the cost. These ran me $137 each plus truck freight to be a total of $300 shipped for a pair to my doorstep. So $1600 vs $300. For that price, I can make em fit, and use that $1300 difference on something else this poor thing desperately needs. Most will never know how much I had to do to make it look right once done.

I did something similar about 26 years ago with a 1960 El Camino I redid. Had to use lower quarter patch sections made for a 1960 Bel Air. Trunk drops and wheel arches were rotted thru. No repops available. I made cardstock templates to fab the pieces. Then had to make all that under structure from scratch. I hung the skins first. Used clecos so I could pin it, and remove it quickly, then with it temp pinned place, I built up my cardboard templates to fit, then transferred them to steel sheet. Only needed one set of templates, as I used them to make identical pieces for both sides.

Last edited:
You definitely took it to the next level compared to what I did when I installed the goodmark panels
I kept shots of how you did yours and used them as an example of kind of what I needed to do. You were the trailblazer. Since I do aviation sheetmetal for a living I just get really picky.

Thanks Neil, but I think these were made to be hack job fix panels. The front and rear lips actually overlapped the stock skins. Because of the oversize, I think these were made to just pop rivet over top of a rusted panel. This is why I kept the original top, front, and rear of the original skins and flanged them. Then cut the goodmark panels back. I am lucky it fits well in most of the key areas. If all I have to do is deal with some non stock seams, and move a couple wheel house lips, well oh well lol.

The AMD skins are fastback only. They fit really well in all areas but at $700 per side plus about $200 truck freight, and I would have to still cut the tops off and make a non stock seam to fit a coupe anyways, I just couldent justify the cost. These ran me $137 each plus truck freight to be a total of $300 shipped for a pair to my doorstep. So $1600 vs $300. For that price, I can make em fit, and use that $1300 difference on something else this poor thing desperately needs. Most will never know how much I had to do to make it look right once done.

I did something similar about 26 years ago with a 1960 El Camino I redid. Had to use lower quarter patch sections made for a 1960 Bel Air. Trunk drops and wheel arches were rotted thru. No repops available. I made cardstock templates to fab the pieces. Then had to make all that under structure from scratch. I hung the skins first. Used clecos so I could pin it, and remove it quickly, then with it temp pinned place, I built up my cardboard templates to fit, then transferred them to steel sheet. Only needed one set of templates, as I used them to make identical pieces for both sides.

wow, that's some cost difference! i'd have made the same choice, my/your labour is essentially free on our own projects and if there's no hurry to complete a job then as you say the saved money can go on parts that aren't cost effective to make yourself.
keep at it, you're getting there :thumbsup:
neil.

A bit more done. I am closer to a finished product on this side. After final grinding I stick a flashlight up from behind looking for light from small pin holes. I circle those so I can see em with my helmet on, spot em, and grind em flush.

20220403_110009.jpg

20220403_121651.jpg

20220403_125056.jpg

20220403_131650.jpg

20220403_131653.jpg

20220403_131850.jpg

20220403_131855.jpg

20220403_132338.jpg

Nothing to report lately. The month of May was a bust. I had surgery for a hernia, and had my gall bladder removed both at the same time. 3 weeks recovery time, then went back to work rolling into June, and they had a major emergency which required me to work 12 hour days for about a month straight. Then the summer heat hit us. Its been in the 100s temp wise since then. I refuse to go and cook myself out there.

This car was sold to me on a hand written bill of sale. The good news is after doing all the pain in the *** paperwork to get a Vermont transferrable registration, and licence plate, I finally walked into my Texas DMV and got a receipt document for transferring it into a regular Texas title. This is a major piece of this puzzle. It will help this project a lot.

I coulda went thru Texas with this, but they rewrote the title laws for bonded titles. What a pain in the *** that has become. I believe they rewrote it because of all the ID10Ts building these ScrapRods that look like rolling refugees from the recycling yards, made out of tack welded together junkyard ****. I think it was written this way to deter this type of shenanigans, but doesnt help me doing a restoration. I payed quite a bit more money to go the round about way to get a legit Texas title, however the end result was worth every penny spent.

Last edited:
Nothing to report lately. The month of May was a bust. I had surgery for a hernia, and had my gall bladder removed both at the same time. 3 weeks recovery time, then went back to work rolling into June, and they had a major emergency which required me to work 12 hour days for about a month straight. Then the summer heat hit us. Its been in the 100s temp wise since then. I refuse to go and cook myself out there.

This car was sold to me on a hand written bill of sale. The good news is after doing all the pain in the *** paperwork to get a Vermont transferrable registration, and licence plate, I finally walked into my Texas DMV and got a receipt document for transferring it into a regular Texas title. This is a major piece of this puzzle. It will help this project a lot.

I coulda went thru Texas with this, but they rewrote the title laws for bonded titles. What a pain in the *** that has become. I believe they rewrote it because of all the ID10Ts building these ScrapRods that look like rolling refugees from the recycling yards, made out of tack welded together junkyard ****. I think it was written this way to deter this type of shenanigans, but doesnt help me doing a restoration. I payed quite a bit more money to go the round about way to get a legit Texas title, however the end result was worth every penny spent.

Great to hear you are back on your feet. Hope you are feeling ok.

Sounds like you've got the legal crap sorted.

Looking forward to your next posts.

Cheers!!

Glad to see you back too ! thought you said F it and threw in the towel ! Hot as hell here also. Have to stand in front of the big fan just to do anything out in the garage.

Hi Al, I said F it just for the summer. When temps cool down I will be back at it even harder than ever. I got to do the last of the sandblasting. Yes, theres still some more of that crappy B.S. to do, and lots of wire to still weld into this thing

Last edited:
Just been picking up parts around , before the people scrap the stuff. Theresa & I made a trip to North Alabama a while back and got some stuff , and just last week some more north of Tampa. This stuff is getting way pricey these days ! Not to mention $5 a gallon and only 10 mpg dragging the trailer around. Theresa's sister and husband is coming down for a few days next week , so that will occupy most out time next week. You all doing ok down there ? Besides your hernia !

Matt....I hope your gall bladder surgery went as well as mine did 2 months ago. Doc poked 4 holes in me and drug it out the one at my belly button. He fixed a small hernia at my belly button on the way out. So far, so good.....nothing has given me the trots. I just got back from eating a dozen hot wings, and nothin!

Glad yer back Matt and healing up. Hernias are no fun, thankfully no idea what gall bladder surgery is like and dont wanna. Relax, heal up and enjoy the downtime(if you can).
As mentioned, looking fwd to updates when yer feeling better.
:thumbsup:

Great to hear you are well on the road to recovery, Matt! I just got the 42RH in place in my Dart and was just thinking of you a couple days ago as I worked to get the factory floor linkage sorted out with the piece that you modified for me. I'll send pictures as soon as it is all working smoothly, but it will be a couple weeks because I'm headed to Carlisle.

yep..... Texas...100 with HI of 113 is toasty!
Yep Tx. bonded titles are a pain, did two last year.... never again......
II want to thin the herd so I did the BS and paid the $ thinking they would seel better or at least sell. yes IF I give them away. Tx. is GM and pickups pretty much.

Thanks for all the replies. I have a lot going on between work and home. I have a C body housing I am prepping today to get narrowed to stock width for my 67. I have to clean it up and remove the perches, then it's getting sent out. If I had the tooling to shorten it myself I would. The shipping is going to be killer these days.

And yes Barbee6043 , getting paperwork and titles square in Texas lately has become a real pain in the dick. It was easy peasy when I did my 67 years ago, but not anymore. The VTR-63 form really sucks. It's even worse when your dealing with a stripped out ex race car and they want to know where every part came from to put the jigsaw puzzle back together, along with block numbers, transmission numbers, who you bought the pieces from, and how much. Like I remember where half the **** came from. For this car I would need 50 pages to that form lol. Soooo what is my sanity worth in regards to getting a good Texas title in the round about way these days? Apparently the cost is about $900. However, now I dont need to make a tuesday only appointment and drag the car up to the state police barracks and pay them $50 to do a DPS state police vin and body number inspection for body and vin numbers that I already know match, and go through the bullshit with state form VTR-63, and finally pay to get a bond to top it off.

I ordered a new pickup truck back in december. Finally got a Vin# and a build date. So I should have a new DD by at the very worst, late september. Then I can retire a pretty worn out chevy HHR. My new one isnt a dodge, it's a Ford Maverick 2.0 turbo with AWD. Price was right on point for what I wanted, and it checked all the right boxes. Plus 30mpg highway and intelligent AWD. About all I really need for a truck/commuter these days actually. I would recommend anybody looking for a commuter/mini pickup to look into one of these. They have em in hybrid, FWD and turbo FWD and AWD. They even have a 4,000 lb tow package available.

That hernia surgery knocked me out. 4" long incision in my groin. They said 3 weeks and I will be back to regular work. Bullshit. I quit doing my morning 2 mile walk because of discomfort and pain. Finally got to where I could get back into that again after gaining 20 lbs back. The gall bladder was a combination of a piss poor diet for 25 years, and getting the covid in january, well that finished it off. Yep same trick, a couple holes and right out through the belly button.

Well I better get out there to knock some perches off an axle housing before it gets too damn hot and I have to retreat back into the house.

Last edited:
Tx.bonded title. One of the cars I did was a 64 Belvedere MORE door. Tx. DMV gave me a value of something stupid for the bond number. Not a big deal, just the stupidity of it pissed me off. Anyway it has a title now, I just run it with an old out of date tag anyway. Insured thru Haverty for $3500 their minimum. 98% restored driver, but it would part out for $3000 and NO ONE will give me that forit for a driver or parts! But I li:poke::realcrazy::BangHead::BangHead:ke it!

I went to the ministry to get my project (with title) put in my name. The woman told me to come back when it was finished, at which time I could pay the tax and switch it over.........Lol, tax on the finished appraised value. I went to another office!

Hi y'all,

i know this is a lengthy post but here goes. I have recently bought a half stripped 69 barracuda notchback from Dartos up in Wichita Falls Tx on Fabo for some parts for my 67 cuda restification. i do have a Vin, and a bill of sale, and getting a title is no problem where i live, as i have done this countless times before.

my wife likes the fact that i love restoring old muscle cars. she calls me the ultimate recycler. anyway when we first met she didnt know what a barracuda was, or a road runner for that matter. she did know and like the 70 chevelle SS, and 69 camaro SS, but these are more well known. i told her when i am done with my 67 i would like to build up a nice car for her. i have been looking at 69 camaros, and 70/71 chevelles and since these are iconic in their own way they are pretty pricey even for a basket case, so i presented her with the idea of refurbishing the 69 cuda shell for her to drive once i am done with my 67.

Georga likes that idea, she likes the shape of the 67-69 notchback says it reminds her of a camaro in a way, plus i am only into a rolling shell minus interior, driveline, grilles, and fenders for only $300. its basically a clean slate, and can be built how she wants it to be. i told her we for drivability and cost we should probably install a 360 magnum and AOD from a wrecked late model dodge pickup, or ram van since i can get thes at my local police auction cheap and use a fast EFI on an edelbrock intake for drivability, mebbe use a ford 8.8 rear from a ranger pickup, since the bolt pattern is the same as a mopar, and the gears and a limited slip are easier to find, or use an 8.25 rear axle out of a chrysler fifth ave or jeep cherokee, and i have most of the pieces parts lying around to add stock power discs and power steering. aftermarket A/C with a Sanyo compressor will likely round it all out along with smoothing out the firewall.

so heres the dilemma. the 69 nose sheetmetal is missing and the tail lamps and housings are shot. the center trunk panel for the 69 is long gone. i will probably spring for a set of fiberglass fenders and upper header and lower valance from stinger fiberglass that solves this part of the dilemma. tho it would have been nicer to have the steel ones that were on the car, but this would have added to the price i payed for the car, so i really cant complain. i have a spare hood that is 67/68 vintage that came with the parts car minus its pot metal inserts. i can use this hood but will mean using a 67/68 header panel, and grilles. i also have a nice used set of 67 taillamps and housings, along with center tail panel trim, and a good used pair of 67 reverse lights and bezels. i have a set of bumpers that are straight but need rechroming, we may paint these body color. i have the trim pieces if she wants a vinyl top, and since the back window trim is already gone off the car, i can buy a new rear window gasket from steele rubber that has a black locking strip to go with a black vinyl top making the roofline a bit formal. plus i have a box of clip nuts and body bolts and hardware from the old 74 dart 4 door i stripped for parts on my project.

i like the idea of using the pieces we already have that are not going on my car, or are castoffs from my car but are in good condition for a driver. since this car is really nothing special like a big block car or formula S i dont think there is any point in trying to make it original. i figure we can keep the 69 side marker reflectors, use the 67 taillamps and trim, use a 67/68 hood, and since i have a spare set of grilles from a 67 we may be able to find another set of these to make a good set, or find a set of 68 grilles making the car a 67/68/69.

she wants to pick the body color, upholstery, i showed her speedhuts line of gages, and said we can make a custom sheetmetal panel, since all i have is an empty dash frame and she can design her own gages. i said we can look at rims, and steering wheels and floor shifters too. this was originally a console car, but the only thing left is the front bracket. Georga likes the idea of carpet and bucket seats and no console, so an aftermarket automatic floor shifter is in order. we will be looking at these as well.

this car was an ex race car, and has a spring relocation kit done to it, but has hacked in aluminum wheel tubs, and cut some sections of the trunk floor beyond where the stock inner fenders are supposed to be. those have to go. we may keep it narrowed in the back, but i will have to get some stock inner and outer wheel houses from an old duster as these are the same stampings as the cuda, and widen and install them. i will have to hang rear quarter skins on it as well. it already has sub frame connectors. these are 2x2 box steel, they look to be installed ok, i will look at them a bit more once the shell is on a rotisserie. this may be a few years as i got to finish my car first, but it allows us time to collect up parts for it.

i think we got a good plan for this car, tho when she saw the pix she was like OMG you spent $300 on that. my response was at first i laughed, and said it was much cheaper than $3000 on a basket case camaro or chevelle, and i have some of the pieces its missing, putting us ahead of the game, tho i am starting with something in worse shape than what i have seen some people on here part out.

below is the pix of our new addition. it looks rough from somebody sanding most of the paint offand it getting surface rust, but not bad once you DA it to bare metal, and primer it. also at this moment i am not looking to sell anything off it like the SBP rallyes, or manual steering box, when i start rebuilding it, i will reassess whats coming off, and probably list the parts here.

what do y'all think? should we keep the body as a 69 only and try to find those unique pieces to keep it looking as a 69, or use what we have to make the back as a 67, the sides as a 69, and the grilles as a 67 or 68 ?

Matt
I have the 69 tailpanel in nice useable shape.$100 plus shipping...around $35 to texas

I have the 69 tailpanel in nice useable shape.$100 plus shipping...around $35 to texas
I appreciate the offer, however I have already replaced the rear valance with an AMD repop. Please read thru the sheetmetal part of this build starting around page 18.

I've followed this thread and am amazed at the skills you have. This car is going to be something when you're finished . Keep up the good work.

-
Back