'67 A-Body dual exhaust t/pipe question

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
OK...calling all you '67 A body owners who have installed dual exhaust. How'd you get the passenger side tailpipe around the gas tank strap bolt. I think this only applies to '67 w/ the east/west tank strap, as later tanks had the 2 north/south tank straps...and the gas tank is shifted to the passenger side as well.

Are all A body gas tanks biased to the passenger side?

I'm not a 67 owner, but on my 65 valiant, I ran it straight almost against the bolt.. but the contact vibration kept bugging me.. I now run my tailpipes to the outside of the springs, and have them tucked out of sight between the fender wall and the spring..

Put a new gas tank in the Cuda couple weeks ago and can't even remember where the pipe is on the pass side.:bootysha: I will try to get a pic for you.You don't remember do you Ken?

When the dual exhaust was added to my 67, the hook holding the strap was moved to the inside to make room. It has been that way for 30 years, and there has never been a problem with rubbing or vibration. Of course the original hook was replaced. Hope the pics help.

Mark

When the dual exhaust was added to my 67, the hook holding the strap was moved to the inside to make room. It has been that way for 30 years, and there has never been a problem with rubbing or vibration. Of course the original hook was replaced. Hope the pics help.

Mark

Thank to all for the replies.

Mark...those are great shots...and a great idea. The pics do help. I never thought of that. I'm definitely looking into it.

Yeah...if I had 340 manifolds , AND, somebody made REASONABLY PRICED stock bolt-on Manifold-back exhaust system, thats the way I'd like to go, except with turndowns at the tailpipe ends. I got a quote from a local muffler shop to the tune of $950 plus tax for a custom 2.25 system. EEK!!!

Yeah...if I had 340 manifolds , AND, somebody made REASONABLY PRICED stock bolt-on Manifold-back exhaust system, thats the way I'd like to go, except with turndowns at the tailpipe ends. I got a quote from a local muffler shop to the tune of $950 plus tax for a custom 2.25 system. EEK!!!

OUCH! That hurts.

You know, I think some money could be made by someone who would fab-up the head pipes ,for different engines/ex.manifolds, that would work with the Summit/Jegs/PAW header-back systems that are currently available.

If I had a bender......:cheers:

-
Back