67 antenna question?

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
Is this the original antenna or is this a aftermarket antenna for a 67 Barracuda?
I have seen antennas for sell for a 68 and 69 and they do not look anything like mine.

DSC01036.jpg

DSC01037.jpg

I would guess it's a universal. I have an antenna I removed from a 68 and it's different.

Dave

The pic posted by GTGrinly is correct, at least that is what was in the trunk of my 67 when it showed up at the dealership.

The pic posted by GTGrinly is correct, at least that is what was in the trunk of my 67 when it showed up at the dealership.

I wasn't sure. The one I got is pitted and been on the car awhile so I was thinking it was the original. I can find the one like GTGrinly has but it is listed as 68 and 69 not 67. ?? Seems like it should be listed 67-69.

I got my antenna from a 77 or so 4x4 ramcharger. It looks just like the one pictured. Looks good to me. No one has said that it is the wrong one. Of course my barracuda is not concourse.
Rod

I can get the entire antenna assembly from YearOne for $174.00
They have it listed as 66-67 Dart, and Barracuda. And I noticed that they have the other year Barracuda listed as 68-69. So there must be some difference between the the two different years. But however most parts and things are listed 67-69 for Barracudas. Strange.

The antennas that I`ve got on both my 67 and 68 have the same base as GTGrinly`s but the mast is a really long telescopic version. I`ve always understood that the solid masts were used in conjunction with the FM radios while the telescopic masts were used with AM radios. Mullinax, I`ve seen the repro antennas on Ebay complete for $125.00, so it pays to shop around.

In '67 Mopars were shipped with the base installed and the mast was in the trunk for the dealer to screw in. Mine was a late '67 (July) and had a solid mast. Dad had a early '67 Valiant that had a telescopic mast. Both cars had the same base. '67 was the last year for telescopic masts due to zip gun problems. Inner city kids were making single shot .22 pistols out of them. In '68 the solid mast was used since it couldn't be broken off and turned into a weapon.

The antennas that I`ve got on both my 67 and 68 have the same base as GTGrinly`s but the mast is a really long telescopic version. I`ve always understood that the solid masts were used in conjunction with the FM radios while the telescopic masts were used with AM radios. Mullinax, I`ve seen the repro antennas on Ebay complete for $125.00, so it pays to shop around.

Thanks.

I'll check around.

In '67 Mopars were shipped with the base installed and the mast was in the trunk for the dealer to screw in. Mine was a late '67 (July) and had a solid mast. Dad had a early '67 Valiant that had a telescopic mast. Both cars had the same base. '67 was the last year for telescopic masts due to zip gun problems. Inner city kids were making single shot .22 pistols out of them. In '68 the solid mast was used since it couldn't be broken off and turned into a weapon.

A weapon?

I would never figure that. LOL!

Grumpus, that`s interesting info ,I`ve never heard of that before. I thought people just broke them off to be mean or so they could whip the sh*t out of somebody. Knowing Chrysler, they never wasted a thing, so I`m sure they used up all of the telescopic antennas, perhaps in rural dealerships. My car was equipped with the telescopic antenna and is a very late `68 (July). Another odd thing is the base of my `68 has a 90* connection for the cable and the `67 has a straight connection at the base.

I have the same exact one as mullinax on my 67 notchback, but my question is: does anyone make antenna delete plates for them as I really do not even want a radio in my car or a big antenna that can get snagged on things and bend my fender.

I couldn't find an antenna delete plate so have one I made to get me by...

Simple hardware store parts from the plumbing aisle...

Found a chrome sink stopper in the plumbing repair parts aisle, the kind that has a threaded stud on the back.

Then found two flexible rubber washers with a diameter slightly larger than the stopper diameter in the hardware aisle drawers.

Last found a wing nut that has a flat bottom and is wide enough to supply holding support to the rubber washer.

I just put the two rubber washers on the stud and ran the wing nut on the back. The stud tends to be long which is good because it allows you to tip it and the lower rubber washer into the hole in the fender and then spin the stopper until the wing nut snugs the assembly together finger tight.

-
Back