67 barracuda conv windshield removal

-

scottylack

Reaction score
anyone know the problems associated with replacing the windshield...I heard the gaskets are not available! help!

I did not have any problems removing the windshield, but I have been trying to find a gasket no going on 3 years. I may just have to adapt a different year and make it work, since it will be covered by the covers. Good Luck on your project. What are you doing to her stock or modified?

they told me there are no gaskets...have to use a 68 and change the trim ....

The convertibles do not have different trim. All use the cover ups on the side and top with the lock strip in the bottom. Somewhere in my email I have the info a guy on the BOG posted on using a hardtop gasket and modifying it in his wife's vert. I will try and locate it in the 7k plus messages I have built up.

The hardtop gasket can be used but will need some trimming on the sides.
The long piece of stainless across the bottom of the windshield is the same on every a-body except Duser, Demon, Dart Sport. You will need 6 of the trim clips installed along the bottom of the convertible windshield fence to hold this piece of trim in place. the ends of the piece will marry to the convertibles A-pillar trim quite nicely.
be advised... The windshield frame of a convertible will flex. The stainless trim at the bottom may produce a whistle or a squeak noise.

This is from a fellow BOG member (Larry Oberman). It is how I am going to proceed with mine when i get to that stage

"Finished my experiment on the wife's vert windshield gasket.

Since I had converted to a lower stainless trim piece,I wanted to try a
standard hardtop gasket.As Frank reported,The trim wont fit well when you
use the vert lock strip.

In the 1st picture you can see the bottom of the new gasket with the
integral lock strip,2nd picture the original gasket and groove for the
original lock strip.

3rd picture is the top of the old gasket and 4th is top of the new.Other
pictures are the trim clips.

The only major difference is at the top of the new gasket.You can see in
the picture a rubber flap that is used to cover the front edge of the
headliner on the hardtops.Because the vert has a metal trim piece to finish
the top of the windshield frame,this flap is in the road.
So I cut about 1/2 inch of it off all the way across the top.
I installed the windshield using butyl rubber sealant,like the factory did."
newseal.jpg

originalseal.jpg

oldseal.jpg

newsealtop.jpg

P1010042.jpg

Sprayed it down with a hose and no leaks.
The stainless trim snaps in easily and looks good.
Best part is the gasket was under $100.00 where the original vert piece is
about $160.00 with the original lock strip.

We got new convertible gaskets from Rubber Steel products (or something like that). They were much easier to put in than the old hard ones. I could check my receipt folder to verify the name.

i have 2 67 barracuda windshield gaskets here.they are not from a conv. and are used but nice condition if that helps anyone.100.00 each plus shipping.

-
Back