67 barracuda dash gauges

-

Big B

Reaction score
we r building a 67 barracuda w/parts from a 69 donor car. we installed the 69 dash and none of the 3 gauges work. fuel,oil pres and temp. all 3 worked with the 67 dash so i know the wires to the senders r good. new senders also. dash lights all work in both dash's. directionals, brake and high beams. there looks to be a condenser/capasictor? on the 69 thats not on the 67. i find it hard to think all 3 gauges r ng. am i missing something? any help would be appreciated.
thx big b

"looks to be a condenser/capacitor?"
it is an AM noise suppressor. It was in the 67's also yours must have been removed. Shouldn't have any effect to gauges working or not, just unplug from the back of the dash to eliminate it from the possibility of internally shorted. I believe it is connected to the 12v gauge feed pin. Check ground, the dash gauge cluster frame needs to be grounded and is likely the problem.

there is a voltage limiter in the fuel gauge 5 volts I think if its bad none of the gauges will work. good luck

Blue with white tracer feeds 12 volts from the contact pin at about 10 oclock postion to a post on the fuel gauge. If lamps and other items in the panel work , the panel is grounded. That doesn't absolutely mean the limiter in the fuel gauge is grounded though.
There is a quarter size spot left unpainted behind this gauge so it grounds to the housing. If the fuel gauge is a little loose ( maybe it got jarred ) there's the problem.
My best guess is a fault at 12 volt supply since you stated it did all work in the previous car. Then again, the 67 and 69 pot metal housings aren't the same. Climate controllers will not interchange. Did you take it all apart to build a panel ? Did you repaint the inside of the housing ?
I've seen most every mistake one can make. Oil and Temp gauges put in switched locations, Worlds Finest Chrome In A Can spray bombed in the illuminated cavity, etc.. etc..

thanks 4 all the info. i did not do any rebuilding of the dash. the 67 dash worked but a previous owner really butchered it up installing a non factory radio, also was cracked along bottom by h/light sw. but the dash lights and gauges worked fine. i pulled the 69 dash out today and found a loose pin and a missing pin. i soldered the loose one and made a new pin and soldered it in place of the missing pin and reinstalled the dash. had no fuel gauge reading but the oil pres gauge came right up. about 45 seconds later both oil pres and temp gauage pegged out. all dash lights r still working. any ideas? thx again for help.

Did you first remove the circuit board from the housing or attempt repairs in place ?

both repairs were done with the dash in one piece. both solder joints were quick with no unnessary heat builb up on circuit board

The board should be removed. There is less than 1/8 space between the back of the board and housing at those pin locations. Too easy to create a short there.

-
Back