67 barracuda front frame rail rot. any suggestions???

-

67cudaResto89

Reaction score
In need of some help here...on my barracuda right behind the shock towers the frame is rusted through pretty bad and I was wondering if there was a quick or simple fix that I can do for right now just to get her rolling until I can afford to cut the front end apart and put all new metal in..any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Im no welder, but I think you can get a cap welded on for now. It should hold up until you are ready to dismantle and do it properly. A cap is actually proper and solid, but is noticable is all. Good luck!

To put a cap on it don't I have to either cut the shock tower out or take the inner fender out..its right below where the upper control arm is and I can't really see how I could fit a cap in there..a friend of mine told me that I could use a thick guage of angle iron and weld it in there...does that see plausible at all?

I probably should be more specific. They make caps that fit right over section of the frame. It will keep you going for now. Why don't you post some pics first so we see how bad it is. Safe-T-cap has a web site.

Ill throw some pics up this weekend. Its pretty bad rusted through on the left..I appreciate all the help guys..I'm still kinda new to doin resto's so all ur input is appreciated!

That is a main structural area of the car. You can't band-aid it.

Fix it right or stop driving it and don't fix it at all.

Its easy to say just fix it. And believe me I would but right now money is and issue and I need the car drivable. So until I get the funds to properly fix it. A band aid will have to do. Its only going to be driving back and forth to my work which is 4 miles away from my house. So for now I need something.

http://autorust.com
Buy whatever part you need from these guys and have someone weld them in for you.
It would be best to to drill some holes and plug weld it on in as many spots as possible then weld the ends. The frame is pretty thick and so are these so you can get some real heat when welding. It should not be much more than few hours to do it, just get your frame as clean as possible

I can weld pretty good so I should be able to do that myself ill still post some pics this weekend jus to give u guys an idea of what I'm dealing with

And also if I were to fix it properly how would I go about that? Cut the inner fenders out and replace the whole front rails?

A rust free frame rail will cost a bunch less than that CAP crap.

Would it really? Bc if it is going to be cheaper I would rather fix it properly I just don't know how to go about fixing it

Go at it full bore like I did and be done with it.:)

Attachments

• 000_0890 (600 x 400).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 526
  • 000_0884 (600 x 400).jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 505
  • 000_0886 (600 x 400).jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 540
  • 000_0897 (600 x 400).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 491
  • 000_0895 (600 x 400).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 620
  • 000_0899 (600 x 400).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 699
This may seem like a stretch here but I have a 72 duster parts car with great inner fenders and frame rails wouuld I be able to cut those out and transplant them onto the barracuda? also 440 did u use an arc welder or mig welder?

I bought a 70 Fury that some put a cap over the frame.It was one of the premade caps that you can buy.What a joke,it was made out of thin guage metal and you are just putting a metal cap over a rusty frame.I put the floor jack under the frame and jacked the car up and heard a crunching sound.I crawled under the car to have a look and saw the cap,what a joke.Do yourself a favor and replace the frame rail.

Jim

this also may be a dumb question but do i need to just cut the frame away from the inner fender or does it all have to get cut out?..i've never replaced a frame before so i'm kinda going blind on this. any advice or steps on how to do it would be appreciated!

That frame rail is spot welded in. Drill out the spot welds, take out the rail, and weld the new rail in.

This may seem like a stretch here but I have a 72 duster parts car with great inner fenders and frame rails wouuld I be able to cut those out and transplant them onto the barracuda? also 440 did u use an arc welder or mig welder?
Mig, And my clip came from a 72 Duster.

Any suggestions on what to use to cut it out? Torch? Cut off wheel etc? Like I said dumb questions but I only have one front clip to use lol. I don't want to screw anything up

Any suggestions on what to use to cut it out? Torch? Cut off wheel etc? Like I said dumb questions but I only have one front clip to use lol. I don't want to screw anything up
3/8 spot weld cutting bits. Thier are several different kinds...I use Blair spot weld cutters.

-
Back