'67 Barracuda gas tank question: Why take only 8 gallons?

-

Bob67Barracuda

Reaction score
Background: Fuel gauge on the Cuda doesn't work, so my co-owner and I use the trip odometer to track how far we've gone since filling up. System has worked fine for years and we've been conservative -- never really needing to put more than 8 or 9 gallons in per fill.

We had some work done this spring and the mechanic reset the trip meter, and I thought that meant he had topped up the tank, but I was wrong. So yesterday I ran out of gas (for the first time in my 52 years). Fortunately I was close to home, so fetching a gas can was no big deal. I put four gallons in... wouldn't start right away... I could see clean gas in the fuel filters... and after some cranking, it fired up.

I drove straight to a gas station and was surprised when the pump clicked off after four gallons. Tank was clearly full.

Four gallons on the side of the road and four gallons at the pump.

Is the tank really that full of junk that it only takes eight gallons? How is that even possible and still have a running car?

Should we plan on pulling and restoring the tank?

LOL Seems to be a similar problem in this thread here:

Trouble diagnosing problem

Check the vent has not clogged. Your vent is a simple tube going down the filler tube, through the floor gasket, and open ends inside the frame rail. Remove the tube and blow it out

Has the tank been damaged (and maybe then fixed) Pickup tube broke/ bent, not on bottom of tank?

Clogged vent = same principle as holding liquid in a straw with your finger..no flow to carb. vapor lock= pump cant pump vapor no flow to carb. Not trying to be smart *** just want to add a simple way of visualizing these two issues.

Are you sure the pick up tube is going all the way to the bottom of the tank ?

Maybe it still had 1/2 tank of fuel and the pick up is bent and only goes down to the middle of the tank.

I would run it out again then bang on the bottom of the tank and see if it is really empty.

-
Back