67 Barracuda Grill restoration Help

-

Relax360

Reaction score
So I began to take apart my 67 I am starting with the front panels first.

The Grill are in ok shape but obviously need to be restored by a pro. Most of the studs that held on the outer part of the grill to the panel are broken.

Does anyone know a Person or shop that can save my grills?

Brad

So I began to take apart my 67 I am starting with the front panels first.

The Grill are in ok shape but obviously need to be restored by a pro. Most of the studs that held on the outer part of the grill to the panel are broken.

Does anyone know a Person or shop that can save my grills?

Brad

If ya got some tools i'll help you do it yourself.......I'm a pro but just a very, very busy pro........you can do it

after looking at the pieces again i do believe i can repair the mounting studs.

the trick will be to remove the rivets holding the outer piece of trim to the main body of the grille. going to need a very small drill bit.

after looking at the pieces again i do believe i can repair the mounting studs.

the trick will be to remove the rivets holding the outer piece of trim to the main body of the grille. going to need a very small drill bit.

Using a dremel with different cutting stones work well also, or a cutoff wheel in a die grinder...........sometimes small drill bits will snag and break very easily

thanks for the tip never cut rivets before and these are on the smaller side.

so you think I should grind the head off then punch them out? Do I grind the dimpled side?

any advice is welcomed

thanks for the tip never cut rivets before and these are on the smaller side.

so you think I should grind the head off then punch them out? Do I grind the dimpled side?

any advice is welcomed

I don't have a set right in front of me, just going by memory from the set I did about six months ago. Can you post a pic?

i will post pics but tomorrow I am planning on trying a grinding stone on a single rivet and hopefully the rest will follow

i replaced the studs on mine and they came out good. i dismantled them using a dremel to grind of the rivets. the studs knock right out after its dismantlement. i replaced them with bevel headed machine screws. i welded the screw heads in place with a mig welder.

Got the driver's side done this p.m.

How you coming on yours Brad?

DSCF1625_Medium_.jpg

DSCF1627_Medium_.jpg

Now to get it polished and painted.

I have popped out the rivets on one grill but now trying to decide what hardware best to use for the new mounting studs.

i had about 40 hours in fixing mine. complete dissasembly. Used aluminum solid rivits to reattach. Removed all the broken studs from the brackets and jb welded flat head screws in place. I took off all the plating and have been able to keep mine nice and shiny with mothers. Repainted the argent and black brackets and reassembled. Took out all dings and scratches. I dont think anyone could pay me enough to do it again.

Order yourself some of these:

1002619-1.jpg

Here's the link:

http://www.rtspecialties.net/proddetail.asp?prod=1002619

I'd love to, but from what I hear R/T Specialties is not on the top of everyone's list when it comes to good customer service any more. I've ordered some stuff through a middle man before and didn't have any problems, but everything I read on these boards is that ordering from Tom's web site may take forever to get the parts. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

-- Mike

Never had a problem with them. I order on line then send a money order.

From the time I send the money order, I have the parts at my door
in a little over a week.

Recently? I'll have to give him a shot...

Thanks!
Working on my 67 grille and the carriage style bolts are 8-32. Maybe the size 10 would work but dough if the square is the right size. the stock ones are around .180 on the square. Standard 8-32 carriage bolts have a smaller square than the ones on the grill.
I like the idea of using a flat head screw and welding the head to the mount.
I'm trying to find an earlier discussion on what type of rivets to use.
I looked at Eastwoods solid rivet kit but the pneumatic gun looks like it would be way to big.
The earlier forum talked about the rivets that someone had use.
Anyone have and ideas. Pop rivets would work, but I'd like to stay with solid one.

Working on my 67 grille and the carriage style bolts are 8-32. Maybe the size 10 would work but dough if the square is the right size. the stock ones are around .180 on the square. Standard 8-32 carriage bolts have a smaller square than the ones on the grill.
I looked at Eastwoods solid rivet kit but the pneumatic gun looks like it would be way to big.
Anyone have and ideas. Pop rivets would work, but I'd like to stay with solid one.
I had mine done by a professional , his screen name is PARTSMONSTA , used to be on here quite a bit , he`s in Florida some where, don't remember. He did a very good job , and used regular alum. pop rivets!

You can go to as much effort and expense as you wish. Those fasteners shown in post #13 above do work in the perimeter of surrounds. I've used them in 3 sets of 67 grilles, along with stainless steel hex nuts and common pop rivets for reassembly. I think the factories welded studs just served for easier faster assembly.
These 10-24 'T' studs are generic, available at MrGUSA.com local paint and body suppliers, ect…
This same stud is captured in the upper and lower deck lid trim of 67 B'cuda. If you need to remove and/or replace those also, the ones at very ends of the trim are cut to 1/2 in long and get a closed end nut.

Last edited:
I had mine done by a professional , his screen name is PARTSMONSTA , used to be on here quite a bit , he`s in Florida some where, don't remember. He did a very good job , and used regular alum. pop rivets!
Can I ask how much you paid to have these restored?

-
Back