67 barracuda numbers

-

dan5354

Reaction score
Hi, I have read numerous articles about vin and fender tags. How can you tell if the vin and fender tag are legitimate? The car in question is a 67 Baracuda Formula S with a 383. The vin and fender tag go together and the last 5 numbers on the radiator support match the last 5 on the fender tag. The support shows no sign that it is re-welded as the factory spot welds are still there. The factory torque boxes are there on the shell. My question is that I am finding yellow paint under door plugs latch plates and inside the door - the fender tag says it is supposed to be the dark green GG1 which the car is painted now. Is there any other way besides the radiator support to check if the shell is the matches the fender tag? Thanks for any help, Dan

Not sure about the 67s but the 68s also had a VIN stamped into the trunk lip under the weather stripping. I believe I found mine on the left side near the center.

I would first guess that the door was replaced over the years with one from a yellow car. Look inside the trunk and under the carpeting at the sill plates to be sure of the original colors.

Maybe it just had a couple of non original doors put on it at some point.. just a thought.

Not sure about any other numbers on the body that can help, maybe some of the other guys that have taken their cars back to bare metal can assist.

I thought about the doors being replaced, but there is yellow on the a-pillars under the weather strip and while adjusting the trunk lid I found yellow under the trunk latch. I'll check the trunk for the VIN. It still doesn't make sense to change the numbers on a perfectly good shell unless they really wanted a green car, car had no title or (hope not) it was stolen. That old yellow was a desirable color and again - it was a big block shell due to the torque boxes.

I did notice something interesting on the fender tag. It has an upper door frame color u which is a y on my tag which decodes to medium gold. The interior was tan from the factory, but changed to black later. The yellow I am talking about doesn't really look like a medium gold and the yellow appears in the door jambs (under plugs) and under the strike plate in the trunk so far. The yellow also looks like that pale yellow that they used to paint these cars. This is all interesting and I would like to know what I have here.

For the 67's you CAN get the build card from Chrysler historical. The build card will tie in the fender tag with the VIN. Outside of that the only way to tie the two together is with the build sheet which will have the SO number and VIN on it.
the hidden vins are located on the core support and the left rear quarter panel trunk lip under the seal. It can be seen and maybe read from under the lip.

The last couple pages should explain what you'll get from Chrysler and if you need help decoding it the rest of the way let me know I would be glad to help (at no cost) http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=255821&page=4

Torque boxes on 67 383 b-cuda should be rears only. I have one auto and one 4-spd both only have rears and a friend with 4-spd bb 67 also has rear TB's only.

I'd go the Chrysler Historical route. At least that way you'll know if the car actually ever existed.

Check the other VIN locations too. As for the paint, there's no telling how many times it may have been redone or replacement parts hung on it in 46 years.

I don't think that the 383 Formula S cars are so rare and valuable that people are out there faking them, but you never know....

67 was a long time ago...could have been many colors along the way.
Mine has the said above numbers in the correct spots as well. I did have to replace the inner fenders as it had fenderwell headers as a race car. Soooo, some spot welds have been removed..... God I had fenderwell exhaust...screwed up more cars than I care to think of...fixed to many inner fenders cause of it.
Take a good look around, you may find more of the original color.
I had a buddy with a Road Runner 69, calls me over to check it out...he says the front is blue, but the rear wheel tubs are yellow? So, under the carpet we find the floor seam and it was two cars welded together. It must had been done when the car was near new. Very good job...old welding techniques and who new? Maybe the roof was replaced on the Barracuda....hail damage at one time? Just a thought.

The 67 and 68 models didn't have the VIN# on the body anywhere. the Sequential order number is on the fender tag, and was stamped into the radiator support and drip rail, driver side. The fender tag is attached to the body, the VIN# is attached to the Title only. In 1968 The Vin was eventually attached to the engine and transmission. But not on the fender tag until 1969. The options on the car are on the tag, try to match all the codes on the plate to that car. The K member, torque boxes, brakes, rear end, there are a lot of little things you can look at.

The 67 and 68 models didn't have the VIN# on the body anywhere. the Sequential order number is on the fender tag, and was stamped into the radiator support and drip rail, driver side. The fender tag is attached to the body, the VIN# is attached to the Title only. In 1968 The Vin was eventually attached to the engine and transmission. But not on the fender tag until 1969. The options on the car are on the tag, try to match all the codes on the plate to that car. The K member, torque boxes, brakes, rear end, there are a lot of little things you can look at.

Strange my 67 cuda has what I thought is a vin tag on the drivers door frame. :tongue2:

Strange my 67 cuda has what I thought is a vin tag on the drivers door frame. :tongue2:
I was referring to stamped numbers that had been tapped with a tool, like what is on the radiator support, not the removable tag on the door pillar.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. If it is a real 383 the fender tag should have a 62 on it for the 383 four barrel engine. and the last five digits on the very bottom right will be the five digits on the radiator support and drip rail. my book also says it should have 479, for Disc brakes if it has the 383, as well as 367 for formula S.
if all this is present, you likely have a real Cuda.

Yes in 67 the engine code will be 62. All will have rear torque boxes.
D-9 - Disc Brakes were mandatory on the 67 383 Barracuda's
F-7 - Formula-s Package was mandatory on the 67 383 Barracuda's
u-1 - special order - as all of these cars were special ordered
M-2 - code for Hamtramck built (started in Jan 67) All 67 BB cars were built starting around March 67 +/-.

The only way to guarantee your car is correct is what I stated above - build card or broadcast sheet. But as oldmopardude said adding the H-code in vin's 5th digit

Thanks Rocky, my book has the codes for the broadcast sheet, sometimes they are on the tag, sometimes not. I have a 69' Cuda, and the codes are documented so much better, to determine what you have, for sure.

Thanks for all the help. The fender tag, vin tag, and radiator support numbers all match and the options on the car are correct. I found some numbers on the trunk lip that are really hard to see clear enough to read correctly. There seems to only be 4 numbers there.

-
Back