67 Barracuda Rear Deck Lid Trim question

-

Renegade

Reaction score
Is the trim that goes on the deck lid the same for the upper and lower? (The long chrome strips) I know they use different clips for install. Just wondering if they were both the same pieces.

Thanks
Josh

The question about the difference in those upper and lower strips is as old as the car itself. Some will testify under oath that they are different. Maybe they are/were. I've never found a noticeable difference in them. Both use the same T bolt studs with nuts for mounting.

Haha, ok didn't realize that it was a debateable topic... Oh, I thought they used different mounting clips/screws. Good to know, thanks.

Got mine from Metro

Qty (2) of the same part. No problem with the install.

Attachments

• Trim (Medium).jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 104
Ok cool. Love that car Tony! Well I have one good trim piece, but I need another one.

If you cant find a nice used piece there are reproductions.
You would need to buy a pair of those. Reason being,
The like new, bright anodized finish on the reproduction wont match a used one.
Here's a pic of a T bolt that's readily available. It's not exactly the same as OEM in thread count or length but fits the trim exactly like OEM.
These at the very end of the trim will need to be shortened so the dont hit when the trunk lid is closed.
I used these same fasteners in repairing the broken mounting studs on the front grilles also.
Hope this helps

Attachments

• grille fasteners.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 115
Well, I used to have a picture of the difference in the upper and lower pieces, but it's on my old camera hardware. The difference is slight, but there is a difference. The long side of the trim is longer for the upper than the lower to match the slight difference in profile when matching up to the taillight. You can use the upper on the lower area without modification, but there is a slight mis-alignment where the profile meets the taillight.

FYI, the piece that Metro makes is actually the bottom piece. When this piece first came out I asked Joel at Metro which piece he patterned the repop after, as the lower piece is usually the damaged one. He said he didn't know there was a difference when he tooled them, but just happened to get lucky and tooled his repops on the lower piece. Lucky for him, as the lower is always the damaged piece. If I can find that old pic of the difference in profile, I'll include it here. I only have a lower on the shelf and ain't gonna take my upper off!!! Geof

OK Ladies and Gents, heres a profile pic of the difference in the upper and lower. The lower piece (the top one in the pic) has a steeper ramp up on the long side and the ramp length is longer than the upper piece (bottom one in the pic). Also, the shorter ramp is not as steep on the lower piece as it is on the upper. These are original pieces for reference. Hope this helps clear up the "myth"!!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_3267.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 119
Yeah, this is debateable. Searching for "Metro" cause I screwed up my lower I found this link:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/archive/index.php/t-24566.html

Good thing I just need the lower but $135 each!!! Expensive mistake offloading the parts car from the trailer with gravity assist right into an engine on a stand. Scrunched the lower.

http://www.buymetroparts.com/item/a-body-barracuda-67-69/1967-barracuda-deck-lid-moldin/lid=10723270

http://www.buymetroparts.com/item/a-body-barracuda-67-69/1967-barracuda-deck-lid-moldin/lid=10723270

-
Back