67 Barracuda Rear End Swap Advice Needed

-

msmrinc

Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm in the middle of the 1967 Barracuda Restomod project. I'm doing a 5.7 Hemi/727 Torq Flite/AlterKtion setup. I've got the front end sorta figured out, it's the rear where I'm having problems.

The donor car I purchased came with a Dana 60 4.10 rear end. The guy who had the car before me was gonna make a drag racer out of it. So, while it's an awesome rear end, I'm concerned it might not work for me.

I'm wanting more of a cruiser/road-coarse kinda car, not a drag car, so gearing is important. I've researched all over the internet and it seems that the tallest gears you can get for a Dana 60 is 3.54s. With my 727, that have me humming well over 3000 rpm at 70 mph on the highway. That's not an option.

Does anyone know if you can go taller that 3.54s? If so, where can I get those gears? If not, what rear end would you recommend? What gearing?

Just for some more info, I do intend to pushing those rear leaf springs in about 3/4" with an offset kit, and looking at the Hotchkis rear leaf spring kit. So, I can put just about anything in there that I want. The rear is gutted, and waiting my decision.

Thanks All - Arthur

Swap it for an a body 8-3/4rear with a set of 3.23's.

Perfect all around gear set.

How tall of a tire are you gonna run?

If you are real intent on an a body rear I may swap mine for your Dana but you will need a center section since I just sold my 3.23's.
My rear has dual spring perches for stock a body location and mini tubbed 3" relocation for easy swaps.
Has green bearings, moser axles big bolt pattern and half inch studs.

I'm looking at 275/40-R17 rims and rubber, which amounts to about 26" or so. Running 323s at 70mph, I'd be running at 2900rpm. That's still a bit high, don't you think? I was thinking more in the 308 range.

What about late model high-perf rear ends, like outta Chargers, Challengers, Magnums, etc.? What gearing to they run? And if I went that route, I'd have disc brakes already. Just a thought, what do you think?

You could unbolt that 4.10 Dana and sell it to me (cheap) and use the moolah to buy a SG 8 3/4 with the gearing you want.

How cheap is cheap? Btw, it's out and sitting on my garage floor. I looked up the casting numbers and it's a Dana 60 w/4.10s, out of a early 70's Mopar performance sports car. Nice.

-
Back