67 Barracuda suspension V2.0

-

DesertRat

Leading edge boomer
Reaction score
First a tip of the hat to MObarracuda for his A-arm rebuild thread. I used it as a pattern for my work, Thanks! I decided to post a thread on my 67 Barracuda suspension rebuild, for the second time. When I built the car I installed all new energy suspension poly components and missed some critical details such as the offset upper a-arm bushings. I have had all the parts I need to build correctly in stock so today was the first step on the path. I removed the shocks, the upper a arm bump stops, the torsion bar adjuster bolts and the upper a arms. Tomorrow I will remove the torsion bars and possibly more. I have a lot to do so I will document it all in this thread. DesertRat----------------:)
Susp1.JPG
Susp2.JPG
Susp3.JPG

Last edited:
I am in the same exact boat, and ready to do this as well. Read thru multiple threads too, but step by step pictures are such a great help. Thank you.

Here's what I'm doing: I decided after I bought my 65 wagon how I wanted to build the front suspension - 73-76 large ball joint upper control arms with offset bushings, 73-76 disc brake spindles with the corresponding disc brake set-up, 65-72 lower control arms with the sway bar tab, the Helwig large diameter hollow sway bar, and large diameter torsion bars (I acquired the PST 1.03 bars). I will assemble all the suspension stuff including the engine and transmission on the K Frame which will be sitting on a dolly ready to slide under the body. For the rear I'm using an A Body 8.75 with 94-04 Mustang-based disc brakes and a 76 A Body police rear sway bar. I've got all the bit and pieces ready to build. When I reach that point, I'll post pics and info on my resto thread

Here is where I am today. All the demolition is done and the suspension is setting on my shop bench, the right side and left side on their respective shelving. I removed the upper ball joints from the upper arms and will run the upper and lower arms through my parts washer tomorrow. Then I will install my lower arm reinforcement plate and get ready to reinstall the parts, time available.
DSC00674.JPG
DSC00675.JPG

These photos show the old torsion bars .85" stockers and the PST 1.03" new ones that will go back in. The other photos show the stock bushings against the new offset bushings for 4speedragtop. I haven't figured out all the bushing differences but there are some as the Moog replacements seem to leave a bit to be desired but I will figure it out and get them installed. Next will be posting the reassembly photos as I install the new components. I have about 7 hours total in the demolition working alone so I am happy about that.
DSC00676.JPG
DSC00678.JPG
DSC00677.JPG

I installed the offset bushings in my upper A-arms today. The second two are the removal. My tool kit consisted of 1 foot of 1/2" NC redibolt, 4ea 5/8" FW, 4ea 1/2" FW, one 1 1/4 sch 40 PVC coupler (NOTE: file the pvc groove out of the coupler so the bush flange will clear) and one 1 1/4" galvanized short nipple (it fit perfectly on the flange of the new offset bushings) and 2ea 3/4" wrenches. A dab of grease-----. I was able to remove the recently installed (3 years ago) bushings and install the new offset bushings in three hours working alone. Note photo #5, mark your bushing and your A-arm with a sharpie. Ask me how I know:)
Bare.JPG
remove1.JPG
Remove2.JPG
Install1.JPG
Install2.JPG
Install3.JPG
Install4.JPG
Install5.JPG
Install6.JPG

Yesterday I installed the reinforcement plates on my lower A-arms. Nothing remarkable here, my arms have the factory sway bar tabs and I just notched the plate to fit around it and they came out nice.
BareLower.JPG
Tackup.JPG
1and1.JPG
Done1.JPG

Again, thanks to MObarracuda for his great how to thread. A-arms upper and lower ready for work.
NewballJt (1).JPG
New Upper ball joint ready to install.
Balljtinstalled.JPG
Upper ball joint installed, I bought the socket.
strutrodbush.JPG
Replacing energy suspension strut rod bushings factory stock bushings. I believe the aftermarket ones were too thick and holding the lower A-arm back too far.
NewballJt (2).JPG

The original TB adjusters were good but I installed the new ones that came with the deluxe kit.
Newlower.JPG
The left side in and loose bolted.
Leftsideloose.JPG
The right side in and loose bolted.
Rightsideloose.JPG
The new torsion bars are installed and ready for the next step.
Newtorsioninstalled.JPG

The new offset bushings are wider than the stock ones so I had to spread all the attachment points with my trusty bracket spreader.
Leftinst1 (2).JPG
One of the left A-arms installed with the sway bar links reattached.
Leftinst1 (1).JPG
Just another of the installed upper arm, new offset bushes and ready for the next step.
Leftinst2.JPG

Nice job! Thanks for photos and posting.
Thanks, I think I will install my aftermarket sway bar and post it on this same thread, or maybe start a new one. I know that was hard on metal knees and old bones and I am really glad its done. More photos from todays finish up work later----------------

Hello DesertRat,
Quick question on the spreading for the offset bushings. I ran into the same issue and wonder how loose the fit should be? Is the upper arm supposed to travel freely with very little effort?
Looking for your insight.

Thanks

Hello DesertRat,
Quick question on the spreading for the offset bushings. I ran into the same issue and wonder how loose the fit should be? Is the upper arm supposed to travel freely with very little effort?
Looking for your insight.

Thanks
I got mine so they were still kind of press fit. That said I had to spread them about 1/4" front and rear. I greased the outboard & inboard washers of the bushes and worked them in. I greased the eccentrics and bolts on assembly and got everything working freely. Then I set the eccentrics where I wanted them and tightened the bolts. With the bolts tightened the arms worked smoothly with no friction and brought the chassis tabs back tight. More photos tomorrow------------------

New day Replacing the lower ball joints. The originals were good so I re-used them the first time.
SuspA.JPG
The new lower ball joint installed.
SuspB.JPG
The cam eccentrics set for maximum out forward and maximum inboard rear.
SuspC.JPG
Another of the cam adjustment settings to bring the upper ball joint aft as far as possible. The alignment shop can put the numbers in that I want now.
SuspD.JPG
The completed assembly back together. I had to remove the brake pads from the calipers to get it all reinstalled.
SuspE.JPG
The parts left over, some of them are still good
SuspF.JPG
That completes this thread. I have decided to start a new one detailing my rear sway bar install. Cheers to all-------------------------

I may have got things a little too stiff. I turned the TB adjusters 10 full turns to preload them and put the car on the suspension. I don't think an NFL lineman could get a bounce out of the front suspension.

-
Back