67 cuda 340 engine swap - thoughts

-

Rocky_JS

'cuda
Reaction score
I am getting ready to put the 340 in my cuda, but have come to a junction. Not a big deal but will require some thought. The engine is a 69 for a 70 model year the timing cover has left side timing marks and I have a new fluid balancer for the same.
The 67 273 has the timing marks on the right hand side also the water pumps are different in how the bottom hose exits. I do not "want" to buy another new radiator. I guess what I want to know if I go with the older style water pump on the 340 timing cover will I encounter and fitment issues? And will I be able to see the timing marks, not a big deal (hydraulic cam)but one to think about nonetheless.
Second I would like to convert to power steering. I have a early 70's box, pump, brackets, pulleys and a column for a 67 w/ps. Will I encounter any pump mounting and pulley issues.
Are these real concerns OR am I being too OCD about this and just need to go for it?!

If you want to keep your existing radiator, use all the '69 and earlier pulleys, water pump, and brackets. You can remark the new balancer and use your old RH timing indicator if you can't see the timing marks on the drivers side. The P/S box will work if it's the '72 and older version. Otherwise, the pitman arm won't fit onto a '73-up box. You may have to slot one hole in your crank pulley to get the 6th bolt into the fluid damper.

I have installed a 1973 340 block (stroked to a 416) in my 68. I did what you are talking about- used my 318 timing cover, used my 68 318 balancer and installed the bolt on pointer. You can find those on ebay all the time. It is easier than trying to find a cover with the cast in markers. The bolt on pointer is a thin piece of metal that bolts on the two lower bolts of the timing cover. I used the 68 waterpump (can buy new for a reasonable price). The driver side outlet would cover the cast in marker on the later cover.

Swap your cover on the 273 and get a new 67-68 water pump and you will be set.

-
Back