67 Cuda Autostarting

-

70SwingerGuy

Reaction score
Posting this question for a friend. He has a 67 Cuda, 340 auto and just recently put in a new distributor and electronic ignition system(Streetfire by MSD I believe he said). The problem he has now, is that when he turns the key to the "on" position, the motor cranks over without turning it to the "start" position, and when turning it to "start" the cranking stops. Obviously he has something crossed somewhere, but he is unsure where to start. Can anyone point him in the right direction, a starting point?
Thanks

The stock Mopar ignition switch has 2 outputs

IGN 1

IGN 2

IGN 1 has power while the key is on the RUN position

IGN 2 has power while the key is on the START position

IGN 1 would power the ballast resister.

Typically IGN 2 has a wire that goes to the starter relay (yellow iirc) and a wire to the plus coil side of the ballast resister. this bypasses the ballast resister during starting.

Some where along the way he has those two wires switched

Cranking is NOT related to the ignition wires.
Or rather, it shouldn't be.

Cranking is the Start wire. S2 (yellow) on the diagram. Goes from the key switch S terminal to the Starter relay terminal.

How the Starter Relay Works
Key in Start.
Power is available through the key switch (S) to the I terminal of the relay.

upload_2022-2-24_9-55-24.png

With the power now available at the I terminal, if the G terminal is grounded ( through the neutral safety switch if an automatic transmission), the relay is activated.
upload_2022-2-24_10-5-51.png

Activating the relay causes the battery stud to be internally connected to the solenoid terminal.
Power now flows to the starter solenoid.

Last edited:
MSD 6 series instructions from Autotronics marked up.
1712855412730.png

Starter relay wires should not have been involved.
Original coil wires removed from the coil
Former coil feed wire (brown) is used to switch the MSD unit on.
If using the original points distributor, MSD white wire is connected to distributor wire.
If using magnetirc pickup distributor then use the wire pair as shown in drawing above.

More here

Last edited:
-
Back