67 Cuda instrument voltage regulator

-

bluefish1967

Reaction score
Troubleshooting the reason why my gas guage and oil/ water temp guages don't work. Couldn't find the voltage limiter that is supposed to be plugged in to the back of the instrument panel. Removed dash and found that the 67"s have a built in limiter inside the gas guage. Tried to repair the unit, but didn"t have any luck. I've installed aftermarket oil and water temp guages, but woild really like to get the gas guage working.
I've read numerous articles on converting the system over to a 5 volt regulater and heat sink, like you can buy at Radio Shack. But these articles refer to the models witha plug-in limiter.
My question is, have anyone run into this problem, and what success, if any, have you had in resoving this. I have the parts to do this, but it will take a little bit of engineering with the current gas guage. Thanks in advance...Larry

Have you tested it for voltage yet?
Do you have the Condenser plugged onto the correct stud?
Call me if ya want some help troubleshooting it: 478-320-1154
Yes I know this is a public thread but I have no reason to fear my phone number being here.

Later,
Bruce B.

I use a 7805 5 volt regulator to run the gauges in my 68 Cuda when the regulator in the fuel guage went dead.

There are three threaded connections on the fuel guage that are mount the fuel gauge to the dash circuit board and make the elctrical connections. One is the 12 volt source that is switched on and off with the key, one is the path to ground via the sender in the gas tank the third is the 5 volt supply to the other gauges. You can figure which is which by looing at the circuit board.

I mounted the 7805 regulator to a heat sink which is attached to the metal frame of the dash panel. I used female bullet connectors on the two wires attached to the 7805 (the third connection on the 7805 is gound and the mounting tab is also ground) to attached to the regulator to the fuel gauge connections. Put the 7805 INPUT connection onto the 12 volt supply post and the OUTPUT connection on the 5volt post and you are done.

I have had the problem of my fuel guage not working on my 67 barracuda.

Then I found this site http://www.demonivr.com/

They sell a voltage regulator for the instrument panel.

After putting in the demonivr voltage reg and a a refurbished stock fuel guage (with the other stock guages) they seem to be working flawlessly.

Demon-IVR = REDFISH (Fabo Member)

devices works well. pm him...

Aloha

Thanks for the input....seems that upon closer inspection, the fuel guage is bad along with the voltage limiter inside it. The small, hair-like wire running from the needle side of the guage to the regulator side is fried also. Not sure how, or if this can be fixed. This is the 3rd used fuel guage that I have purchased that is bad.
Open to any ideas or suggestions..need to get the dash buttoned up soon..Larry

-
Back