67 Cuda No Charge

-

Cudakid2967

Reaction score
Developed a what seems to be either low charge or no charge issues this morning and wanted to see what y'all think. It's a 67 Cuda with a American Auto wire update kit in it and a power master single wire alternator. Battery only shows 11.5 while running and doesn't go up with rpm. Battery is in the back, so there is a big fuse block wear every links together from the alternator to go down to the starter to go to the rear of the car. At that fuse block coming off the alternator there is 12 volts at idle and it goes up with rpm so alternator is working. Were should I start looking to see why the battery isn't charging it's self? Battery is also pretty old and been brought back to life after sitting a couple times and was wondering if something with that could be a culprit.
Car ran fine yesterday charging normal 14 volts at rpm at the battery and went and just randomly developed when went to run it today.
Car does also have sniper EFI on it if that could be anything, but has been fine since installation over a month ago until this morning.

I don't understand how you decided the alternator is working?

12V is NOT charging

Did this work for some period of time? Or is this a new change in hardware/ wiring/ etc?

Some random

Generally I dislike "one wire" setups for a couple of reasons. Depending on how it's done, you can get more complicated when doing an NHRA style disconnect. The BIG reason is that you have voltage drop in the wiring, and must use GREATLY oversized wire to compensate. Properly done, an external sensed either integral VR or external VR is much better. This also depends on how you take the vehicle loads off the trunk mount system.

I’ve had to clean all the grounds between the battery and the engine. Run extra gauge hot from the alternator to the batter distribution block I have in the engine bay (battery in truck with a bypass switch under the back bumper). Burned up a few one wire alternators and had problems until I made sure I had direct and clean connections between the battery and frame, frame and alternator/motor and + and alternator. After that, no problems charges all the time and the alternator has been happy as can be. Good luck

67 cuda for free? I'll make arrangements to get it here.

Well the OP never came back..........................................."hit and run"

-
Back