67 Cuda-turns sharper to right than to the left

-

bluefish1967

Reaction score
Think I know the answer, but could use some insight as to if I'm going in the right direction...
Car has always had a sharper turning radius to the right. Pulled the engine for a rebuild and decided to dive into the steering problems.
When the wheels are straight ahead, I have 1 1/4 turns to full left, and 2 turns to full right.
Since the steering box had a small leak, decided to pull it and swap it for a Firm Feel box along with a new Pitman arm. After bolting the box in place, I centered the steering wheel and checked the box to make sure it was centered. The steering wheel has 3 1/2 turns lock to lock, so I set it at 1 3/4 turns to center the steering box. But the Pitman arm is way off trying to install it to the center link when the wheels are straight.If I turn the wheels to install it, I'm back to where it started.
I think the problem lies with the tie rods, as I know that these parts are new.I'm guessing that when they were installed, they were mis-adjusted in one direction.
So to repair this, I need to spin both tie rods in the same direction to move the center link over without affecting the toe??
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Larry

I think you are right Larry, if you adjust the rh tie rod, count the turns and make the same adjustment to the LH tie rod. Im guessing here with no 1st hand knowledge. Someone knowing for sure will chime in.

That"s the only thing I can think would cause this.
The previous owner replaced the front suspension parts, including the Pitman arm. I've had the Pitman arm on and off a half dozen times, but each time I install it onto the center link the results are the same...too many turns to the right versus the left.

Just looking at my shop manual...once you get your steering wheel and steering box centered(1 3/4 turns), mark the pitman arm in relation to the steering box. Undo the pitman arm from the centerlink, and make your adjustments to the tie rods. When you adjust/rotate the tie rod sleeve, it will adjust both the outer and inner tie rods.
Before doing all this take a measurement on how many threads are showing on your tie rods and compare them side to side??

Side note I had a 69 Sport Satellite and was replacing inner and outer tie rods..couldnt get them to thread onto the sleeve...actually butchered the threads...I then realized prev owner had reversed the tie rods...inners on the outside and outers on the inside!!

The tie rods are the only possible answer, if you described the situation correctly.

1---Center the box by counting turns

2--The pitman is keyed, so if it's the correct pitman, it HAS to be right

3--It is possible to get the steering coupler assembled 1/2 turn off if it's been apart, this would put the steering wheel 1/2 turn off

So what you do is, you count turns, and confirm that the wheel is properly oriented.

Tie the wheel securely in place, then adjust toe and jiggle the tie rod adjustments until the wheels are straight ahead

With my "backyard" alignment, it's impossible to actually tell if the wheels are REALLY straight ahead. So I usually get the bottom of the weel "off" by 8" or so the first time around, have to go back and move both tie rod sleeves a little bit IE one "in" and one "out" to preserve toe, recheck wheel in a short drive, then last, recheck toe.

Crowned roads and manual boxes, of course, "move" this some.

Thanks for all of the input .... started soaking the tie rods and bought a set of adjusting tools. Hope to give it a try Saturday.
The tie rods, center link and Pitman arm were new when I bought the car in 2005, so I hope they will break free and moce easily.
I'd like to get this problem resolved ance and for all so I can move on!! I'm anxious to get the new engine installed and get back on the road. Thanks again. Larry

Thanks guys...everything went well today. Didn't even need the tools to move the tie rods. Managed to get the steering geometry centered , now have equal turns to the left and right. Steering column is back in. Ready to move on ...anxious to get the new engine in. Larry

Cool. I guess 'ya know you need to check final toe with engine/ trans in, etc, car level, etc.

I've got it close now, will check it again with the engine in place and the car on the ground. Then take it to the alignment shop. Guess I should have gotten in to it sooner, but had other issues with the car that seemed more important.

I do believe im having the same issue here! Can I ask what you did to fix it?

I may have figured it out. I took the wheel and centered it then ran the tie rods in and out on each side to get them going straight. This about what you did?

-
Back