67 Dart 83/4 rear w/B Body Drums-69 Sport Satellite 11” what are the correct Brake shoes to use?

-

rod

Reaction score
So- my dilemma is I have a 67 Dart of which I’ve swapped the 7” rear for a 8 ¾ 323 A Body rear. I also swapped the small bolt pattern 4” axles to 4.5” Moser axles but in reading a few articles & I also learned this the hard way- I needed a set of matching “B” Body Backing Plates and Drums so I scored a set from a 69 Sport Satellite. Everything seems to be working ok but then I realized the brake shoes I got from NAPA for a 69 Sport Satellite w/11” drums are not working.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what the correct brake shoes are for my 11” B Body drums?

I do have some pictures as well-

Thanks for any feedback anyone might have.

IMG_1831.JPG

IMG_1832.JPG

IMG_1833.JPG

IMG_1834.JPG

Get shoes for a 70' Challenger RT. You'll be back in business.

Did the rear brakes come as a matched set- backing plates, drums, etc?

11" rear brakes come in three widths, 11x2", 11x2.5", and 11x3". The backing plate offset for each one is different, so, you can't mix and match shoes and drums with backing plates. An 11x2" backing plate needs 11x2" shoes and drums, an 11x2.5" backing plate needs 11x2.5" shoes and drums, etc. The backing plate is unique to the set up. If you don't know which brake set the backing plates are for, you'll have to measure them.

To measure the backing plate offset you want to set the backing plate flat on a bench. You'll need to hang the bottom 1/3 of the backing plate off the edge of the bench so that the mounts for the e-brake cables don't keep the backing plate from sitting flat. It isn't much, but they do change the measurement. Then, measure from the bench to the top of the backing plate through the center hole (for the axle) in the backing plate.

If you get ~1.75", you have 11x2.5" plates. If you get ~1.5", you have 11x2" plates. Those I know for sure, as I've measured them. I don't have a set of 11x3" backing plates, but the math would say you'd get ~2" measuring them as I described above. This is because half of the additional width is on the inside of the axle flange and the other half is on the outside to keep the axle flange in the same spot, as there was only one axle offset for BBP 8 3/4 axles.

img_2848-jpg-1714942228-jpg.jpg

The other possibility is that Moser makes axles with the 5x4.5" bolt pattern that have a SBP flange offset. If you didn't specify that you wanted a BBP flange offset as well as the 5x4.5" bolt pattern, you may have SBP flange offset axles, which have to use redrilled SBP brakes.

Sorry for not being clear when I say they are not working.
When test fitted- the shoes seem to be too long. They do not fit inside the drum length-wise.
Width-wise- they are fine( they are 2.5" shoes).
5.7 Hemi- thanks- will give it a shot and 72 bluNblu- WOW- thanks for the detailed description. I really appreciate the details on how to measure the backing plate. I'll get that done and get back with you- just gotta pull the axles back out(boooo) ;-)

Sorry for not being clear when I say they are not working.
When test fitted- the shoes seem to be too long. They do not fit inside the drum length-wise.
Width-wise- they are fine( they are 2.5" shoes).
5.7 Hemi- thanks- will give it a shot and 72 bluNblu- WOW- thanks for the detailed description. I really appreciate the details on how to measure the backing plate. I'll get that done and get back with you- just gotta pull the axles back out(boooo) ;-)

Length-wise? Huh. That sounds like you just have the wrong shoes. The 11" brake shoes are pretty much all the same length, only the width of the shoe really varies. Beyond that they're pretty much the same.

Yea- when I measure the shows from edge to edge they measure 10.5" so I'm thinking maybe the 11x2.5 shoes like 5.7 Hemi suggested as a easy starting point since I have my axles all bolted/sealed up but I do appreciate your detailed explanation and all the help.
I'll score a pair of the 11" pads and let you know what shakes out.

-
Back