67 Dart Convertible Rescue

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have been talking with an old time Mopar collector for some time.

He has a 67 Dart Convertible that has been sitting in a field for some time.

A friend is a collector and has space and the tools and talent to rescue it.

Tomorrow morning we head out on a drive trailer in tow.

This is my first car rescue so I'm a bit anxious. My friend has done this many times so all the bases are covered.

Turns out the car was stored up on blocks so there is hope for the underside.

But being a convert, and the top has been gone for probably a few decades, the elements I'm sure have taken their tole on the floor boards.

My friend saw it 2 years ago and said it was worth saving so I'm super excited.

I only wish I had the space and talent to do it myself.

Photos to follow.

Last edited:
On the way to the undisclosed location.

PXL_20220817_145310024.jpg

PXL_20220817_140204302.jpg

PXL_20220817_153121344.jpg

Last edited:
There it is!

The seller was able to pull the car out before we got there.

A win:
We did not have to dig it out

A bit of a loss:
Top of the core support got bent a bit, but a little metal shrinking and it should be fine

PXL_20220817_190752950.jpg
PXL_20220817_190758834.jpg

What's left of the top and back seat.
PXL_20220817_190806098.jpg

The engine was "covered" for the past few decades, but did not turn over by hand.

Not to worried, we have an engine and trans from a donor car.

At the bottom of the photo you can see the core support damage.

PXL_20220817_192107642.jpg

The trunk seems intact we did not poke around too much but in the spare tire well the one spot I looked at was nice painted metal under the dust
PXL_20220817_190816422.jpg

This is the underside, not a undercoat car, but the rust seems to be superficial.

There are some floorboard issuer but the majority of it seems salvageable
PXL_20220817_185821444.jpg

PXL_20220817_190842172.jpg

Last edited:
Driving home.

I love getting a rearview mirror on the trailer shot!
PXL_20220817_231931131.jpg

PXL_20220818_002728700.jpg

Last edited:
All in all it so far is pretty solid.

Left my house at 5:00AM got home at 1:30 AM the next morning. Long Day!

Statistics

1. 1967
  2. Dodge Dart GT Convertible (98% of the trim is on the car and in usable or repairable condition)
  3. 273 2BBL
  4. Automatic (missing)
  5. Driveshaft (missing,
  6. 7 1/4 rear (for some reason someone cut off the rear u bolts but left the shock hangers attached to the shocks attached to the body. But the rear has hangers and u bolts attached, rear swap???)
  7. Left hand lug studs (a few of the left and right studs were broken off before we ever saw it)
  8. Factory AC (missing many engine side parts)
  9. Power steering
  10. Manual drum brakes (all 4 wheels rolled, one needed only a tiny amount of persuasion)
  11. Console
  12. Bucket seats (missing)
  13. Fender tag (matches the core support)
  14. Vin on door jam reads correct for the car based on engine, convert etc. It is also fairly close to my darts vin and made at Hamtramick as well)

I'll get the fender tag decoded and post the official results here later this week

This was my first rescue and I am so hooked!!!!

It's like crack to me, I want more!

My buddy has a line on a couple more cars so we will be going out again in the not to distant future.

I'll post a wanted thread for some of the missing parts.

Front bucket seats would be a first right now. Don't need upholstery just rust free frames for a "good" price preferable within pickup distance from Colorado.

Last edited:
I have rescued many, one being a 67 Dart GTS convertible 383 4-speed that was driven into a junkyard in 1974 and left to become a parts donor and rot. Got it out of the yard in the late 2000's and still waiting to be restored, good luck!

What’s a place holder ?
Everyone needs one!

I wanted my post to have all photos together and knowing you all as I do,:rolleyes: I figured some comments would come in before I could post any so I made a few posts as "place holders" so I could edit them later keeping everything together.

" On the way to the undisclosed location. "

Dana,
I believe I've seen that pile of rocks before !
:poke:

20210909_115852.jpg

Last edited:
Dana , I have a lot of trim and grills , if you guys need anything keep me in mind, never know when a COLORADO road trip is in order !
Just like saving the cars, I enjoy saving/ picking the guys parts hoards they have collected . Never know what you might find some, good stuff here and there !

Last edited:
In the first 2 pics , looks like it had the rare Continental deck lid option !!:D

Yep, someone popper the trunk lid lock using a jack hammer.

I assume tire was holding it shut which is good as the trunk has little rust from what I saw.

To bad he was so careless with the chain. Why in the hell did he have the chain over the top of the radiator support anyhow? Nice save though. A factory AC convert-Oh Yea.

Very nice save. I don't think yall will regret that one.

In a few weeks we can take some time to make a list of what we need and start collecting parts.

LMAO. I stared at the 4th picture down for a while trying to figure out what kind of air cleaner that was. I finally realized it was a hubcap. Maybe it's time for new glasses.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

LMAO. I stared at the 4th picture down for a while trying to figure out what kind of air cleaner that was. I finally realized it was a hubcap. Maybe it's time for new glasses.
Clever idea especially for a rat rod.

-
Back